Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    There are no camels or desert!!

    February 27, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    Travel day, heading to Mt Isa through Winton, Kyuna, McKinley and Cloncurry. Not a huge amount to see on the road for most of the way, lots of flat farming land, which is pretty green at the moment, great news for the farmers. I spotted a buffalo, but it could have been a big cow lol. McKinley is the home of the "Walkabout Creek Hotel" from Crocodile Dundee, that is the only thing there, lots of nothingness and then a pub! Heaps of movie memorabilia, and a bloke there told us where to find the waterhole from the crocodile scene, apparently it was shot at "Fountain Springs", we can day trip it there from Mt Isa, so it's on the list! Lots of road trains, they can get up to 53m long, we overtook a triple...I don't think I took a breath lol. They all seem to carry cattle, Shaun got sprayed with cow piss as one passed us going the other way, probably not best to sit behind one then!

    We stopped for fuel in Cloncurry and the fun began, the Cv on one side was split!! Yep the new one put in at Emerald!!! So after some advice we decided to push on to Mt Isa, we really didn't have a choice. I whispered "its all part of the adventure", not sure I had great timing with that one! Cloncurry to Mt Isa is 120km, we did it at 80km/hr....stopping to let the cv cool down at you guessed it "Fountain Springs", apparently there are camels here, didn't see any though. The road from Cloncurry is AMAZING, no desert, just lots of rocky outcrops and amazing green gullies at every turn, definitely the highlight of our trip so far! I wished I had my bike here, hopefully I will get to ride this road when we get the bikes with us. As we came around a bend we saw Mt Isa and its smoke stacks in the distance, so very strange to see the mine right in the middle of town and after such amazing bush scenery on the way.

    We limped into what will be our home for a while "Moondarra Caravan Park". We have work here and the cruiser yet again needs repairs! Our first impressions were positive, the people are very casual and welcoming, we have a great river front site and we are invited to a day drinking party at the pool tomorrow...so off to a great start!! More tomorrow when we have settled in and got organised....
    https://www.moondarraaccommodation.com.au
    Read more