Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Reality Check....

    March 4, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 37 °C

    So after setting up our camp in Mt Isa, we climbed the huge rock formation behind our camp and got to see how close the mine really is...the mine was built first, then the town! We went for drinks around the pool with some of our new coworkers and have enjoyed our meals in the mess hall, sure beats cooking everyday!

    We started work on Monday, and a huge shock to the system! Far out we worked our arses off....I'm housekeeping and Shaun is doing maintenance, and we didn't stop!!! Straight to bed after a shower and slept for 11hrs lol.....as the week has gone on we have got used to the heat and workload, I've actually got into a groove with housekeeping, although apparently I can't make a bed!! We have gone through all sorts of emotions this week, wanting to go home, doubting our choice of working away, and learning to be with each other 24hrs a day, a huge learning curve and character building (that's we are calling it lol). Tomorrow I'm doing a breakfast shift in the mess hall starting at 1am....that will be interesting lol....but I'm glad to be learning something new!

    We don't have a TV in the van and Shaun has taken a liking to watching home and away in the mess hall at dinner...apparently no talking is allowed!! A TV is on the list to buy asap lol

    We have the weekend off, but the car is still not going, so no major exploring this weekend....looking forward to getting the car on the road, the parts are on their way from Bundy, as nothing happens fast in Mt Isa, and that was the quickest way to get them. Although we think we might not stay long here, as we settle in, I think we might change our minds??? But no plan is a good plan at this stage...that's what it's all about.

    P.s. who thought I'd miss little kids? But I do, I haven't seen one in a week lol....maybe teaching isn't that bad!!!

    Ally and Shaun (whos gone to the pub :-) )
    Read more