Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    5,000-mile service in Iowa

    August 4, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    After lunch yesterday, I continued east toward another Harley dealership that turned out to be in Iowa. I crossed the border on a beautiful old bridge, but didn't realize I was in Iowa until I came back across the Missouri River toward Offut Air Force Base and saw the Welcome to Nebraska sign. On base, I met up with my sorely missed buddy from Thailand/Malaysia. It was a short visit because he was at work, but worth every second.

    After that, I stopped for a late lunch at Sickies Garage. Great burgers! But enough traffic for me to want out of the city. I had two separate idiots turn left in front of me so close that I was thankful for antilock brakes (don't tell Mom).

    Two more Harley dealerships later and a quick stop to take a picture of the Swedish Heritage Center and historical marker, I pulled into Sioux City, Iowa, at 18:00. I was definitely ready to be off the bike.

    My hotel hasn't opened its pool, so a hot shower then out to the Hard Rock Casino and Hotel. I don't gamble, but they have a Rock Shop with pins, so I had to go. It was nice to walk around a bit.

    Back to hotel for another hard sleep.

    I was up at 08:00 to take my bike to Rooster's Harley-Davidson for its 5,000-mile service (only 200 miles past due). It only took an hour and a half to get it back. No issues, but it looks like I'll only get 10,000 miles on the tires. I was hoping for 15,000.

    I thought it would take the dealership at least until after lunch, and I didn't want to start another leg so late in the day, so I booked a second night at my hotel in downtown.

    Now, I'm at Chili's for lunch.

    That's all for now. Don't forget to be awesome! ✌️

    Day 3 mileage: 385 (total 1191.4)
    Read more