Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Carnivale

    February 13 in Martinique ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Up early to a loud party noise around 5:30am that continued for an hour or more. We realized it must be Carnival but didn’t know what part of it. We spent some time working and tidying up from the sail, washing salt off the windows and then we needed to head to the ferry dock and make our way to immigration. It was around 11:30am when we arrived and the ferry just came in. There was much of a line, but confusing over how to get tickets. We had to redo it at the kiosk, 7 euro round trip to Fort-de-France, the ferry waited and we headed over. Fun to take the ferry… last time I had a ride like that was 15 or more years ago in Bermuda. When we got in, it was clearly the start of Carnival and everything seemed to be shut down. We looked for immigration but was told they were closed and would not reopen untill Thursday or Friday. We decided to eat at Suzette’s crepes and had a great meal… with Brian encouraging me to order or speak in French. Then we explored around the town but pretty much everything was closed. We had fun weaving in and out, up and down around the streets, Brian talked to a biker gang/guys, who invited him to have a shot.
    We were going to head back to the boat but heard that the Carnival was goi g to start at 4pm (Caribbean time…lol). It wasn’t very organized, but we stayed and watched in the Center median for awhile… lots of people, particularly little kids, covered in molasses. It was Brides day…. The day in waiting… and lots of men dressed as women.
    We eventually bumped into people that Brian knew, Salty Dawgs, Barbara and Ted on a Catamaran. We talked about Brian’s finger and they invited us back to their boat for drinks and antibiotics. Back on the Cat we had water, and got some newer Neosporin to apply. We had chesse, dates, hummus and veggies and great conversation. They took us back to the dingy dock and we grabbed the ferry back to our very quiet anchorage of Trois Ilets.
    Read more