Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 121

    Last day at the temples & funny fish spa

    February 6, 2018 in Cambodia ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    More temples today :-) We rented bicycles for a half day (1 $ for each one) and got on the Grand Tour up to the north of Angkor. We visited a couple of smaller temples. They were built unlike the others we saw 3 days ago as the main building material was small bricks instead of larger blocks. Originally, carved stucco was mounted onto these bricks - nowadays one only sees the holes in the brick.

    I liked especially the elephant statues we saw at the temple of East Mebon as well as the hidden path along the old city wall that Bertram found when we reached the Victory Gate of Angkor and pushed our bikes up a little path. The wall went all around the moat of Angkor Thom - the former Khmer capital in the Angkor period (~900-1400). Aside from the moats which are still filled with water, there are also a lot of reservoirs. In the Angkorian Empire time, these artificial lakes were used for storing rain during the monsoon season and irrigating the rice paddies in the dry season. Today, we saw quite a few people still going to fish in it - or herd water buffaloes and cows.

    We used the rest afternoon for more time at the pool, then went into town for coffee and dinner. We went to a Khmer vegan restaurant again with a great set menu at only 10 $ 🌱

    Today’s highlight was, however, something else: we visited the fish spa :-) 🐠🐟🐠
    It was a really fun experience though getting the feet in took some courage at first :-) Also, the fish tickle the feet quite a lot from time so mental strength was required, too.

    Now, it’s time for bed as we want to get up early tomorrow to arrive in Phnom Penh in the early afternoon.
    Read more