Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 120

    Visit Banteay Srei + relaxed afternoon

    February 5, 2018 in Cambodia ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    We started early with our tuk tuk driver Mr. Coin towards the lesser known, smaller but very well preserved temple “Banteay Srei” (Girls’ Temple) in the north of Siem Reap.

    The journey was pleasant but even with the tuk tuk tool more than 1:15 - glad we did not venture out with the bikes...

    The temple was quite stunning: it is indeed much smaller, but the site has been reconstructed to display the original landscape. Thus, we walked past rice paddies and small lakes besides visiting the temple. The red sandstone was a different material compared to what we had seen in Angkor Wat and the carvings were much more elaborate. Many scenes depicted ancient Hindu myths and thanks to a great documentation center we understood who the figures were! (Also different to Angkor Wat where we did not see anything like this on-site.)

    We returned around 01:00 pm and Bertram went to relax at the pool while Anna ventured into town for a cashew latte and almond cake while studying a yoga book for the upcoming teacher training starting this Friday in Nusa Lembongan. Yeah :-)

    Tonight, we will go to another NGO-based restaurant near our hotel which supports the local community by training disadvantaged youth as waiters. Again, this is consumption that tastes even better :-)
    Read more