Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Day 7 Villages of History

    March 22, 2018 in Singapore ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Today our true adventure begins, after all our planning we can set off on the next part that being UK and Scotland! We have our breaky, John has the car packed ready to go, GPS kinda worked out and off we set, planning to only use the Motorway for a short time!
    We found on other trips the true life of any country is off the motorway! So off we set, our first stop truly by accident or more as I spotted the lovely Bridge was Henley on The Thames! What a little treasure trove this village was! Unreal old buildings and really pretty River where plenty of long boat rows were practicing. Heaps of push bikers everywhere all in their Lycra.... and unreal doors I could click away with! We sadly only had an hour and half here but worth every minute!

    Our next stop was Tesco down the Hwy again found by accident, this was where we stocked up with some goodies to eat as our next accomodation is an Airbnb at Bradford on Avon....
    Loaded with all our delights we set off for the next spot that was to be Whitehorse hill.... a massive horse made from chalk stone made around 600 yrs ago and has been where people go to see it on the hill for centuries.
    Once there we realised there was a fair bit of walking involved and sadly we were running out of time to make our Airbnb hosts time she set fir us to arrive!
    The horse was easy to see so amongst the sheep and dare I say heaps of poo sheep poo, we walked as far as time allowed took a few shots and back to the car to get to our spot!
    As the roads are so narrow travel time is longer than we planned so we had to text Marsha to let her know we would be late!

    Once we found the Bradford on Avon village hitch 1 the road was blocked where we had to go to get to her house, we tried a number of ways all to no avail. So in the end we phoned her to ask how we could get there. By now we were over an hour late! She had forgotten that they were closing the bridge for 24 hrs for repairs, as she had been in London for the weekend..... just happened it was the 24 hrs we were arriving so made it difficult to get to her house! We had to go back to the next village Trowbridge to drive around the Avon and come in another way.... lucky for us there was another way!

    We found it and yep it was a little room self contained built into the back yard a small backyard compared to ours.... the room was neat and tidy with most stuff we needed!

    Marsha is lovely younger than I thought she would be, but we still unsure Airbnb is for us you are beheld to a family or owner in most cases and have to fit in to their schedule. Which is fine but puts you under pressure, this you really don’t have as much with hotels! down side of hotels not in most cases self contained! We really thought this place had a washing machine as we need to do some washing, but nope it hasn’t and only a microwave I had bought sausages to cook for breaky, looks like nuked snags coming up!

    The village is unreal in itself so quaint and pretty can’t wait to explore it!

    Our night went ok had soup and John had nuked bangers and mash. The room is ok comfortable enough but you are in someone’s yard! See how it goes we have 3 nights here!
    Read more