Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Rio de Janeiro

    February 20, 2017 in Brazil ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    After over 17 hours of travelling we made it to Rio! It is a roasting 35 degrees and bets should be put on how long it takes me, one of the palest people in Wales to turn lobster red.

    We are staying in Lapa the 'party area' of Rio, but I'm fully expecting that during Carnival the whole city succumbs. Our hostel is called Manga and is nestled down a side street away from the main drag. Our room is cozy and multicoloured, with windows opening into the courtyard at the back. A poster on the wall has a tidbit of welsh on it (even if spelt incorrectly), so I like the place already.

    Upon arrival I connected to the wifi like a woman possessed. No, not to go on facebook, but today job offers were released. Thankfully I've secured an Anaesthetics post for the next two years, so out we went to explore the area and the bars! Our livers are in trouble... over half a litre of beer costs £2! We sat in a local bar and people watched. Lapa is asleep during the day and looks almost abandoned, with only a few grocery shops open.

    Thirst quenched, we wondered towards a great ugly pyramid structure down the street and were surprised to find it was a cathedral. Whilst ugly outside, inside four strips of coloured glass gives the space majesty.

    Having a chilled night in the streets around the hostel tonight as we barely slept on the journey here. Lets see what Lapa is like at night!

    Hostel: Manga- Entry straight into a hall with benches with big windows open onto the street beyond. Around the very small kitchen for a busy hostel, is the courtyard. A small sun trap where people mill about. On the majority of days the Chef is found gearing up a BBQ and mouthwatering meals.
    Read more