Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Rio- Copacabana

    February 21, 2017 in Brazil ⋅ 🌙 26 °C

    Today didn't start brilliantly. I hesitated getting onto the metro, and watched as the train, with James in it, sped away from me. A few minutes of panic before James came back on the opposite train. He will tell you he was on the right train. It wasn't direct like the one I wanted but it did go in the right direction! I'll call it a truce.

    Once successfully in Copacabana the beach was beautiful, with white sand and clear blue sea stretching between the granite hills. We sat and had a few cool beers before walking along the waters edge, which was gloriously cold compared to the blazing heat. Whilst looking blissful, the beach defiantly is not tranquil. Enterprising men and women sell everything and anything you could want and shout about it at the top of their lungs. Water, hats, towels, bikinis and even shrimps were carried about accompanied by shouts of “Agua agua agua!”

    The carnival spirit is starting with the streets a bit busier and people dressing up. Whilst some are simple there are some awe inspiring detailed costumes around. We ventured to the botanical gardens which while pretty weren't captivating so we wondered back towards the hostel.

    We ventured across the way in the evening to a bar. As obvious gringo's we were put towards the back, and happily sat sipping Caipirihinas whilst watching the world go by.
    Read more