Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Rio -A lot of walking towards sugarloaf

    February 23, 2017 in Brazil ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    We joined a walking tour today for downtown Rio. The highlight was the Selaron steps, not far from Lapa. They were created by a Chilean artist who wanted to bring something back to Rio, a city he considered home. He encouraged use of tiles to decorate the stairs and they were sent by people the world over. It only took me a minute to find a Welsh tile from Conwy. Unfortunately the artist came to a tragic end, he crossed the wrong people trying to stop drug trafficking down the steps and was set alight.

    We had lunch in a 18th century tea hall, beautifully decorated with mirrors, and stuffed ourselves with burgers and pastries. Late afternoon we grabbed an Uber (so cheap) and headed up to sugarloaf mountain. You go up by cablecars and we enjoyed a nice cold beer at the top whilst waiting for the sun to set on an Amazing panoramic view of the whole of Rio.

    Headed out in the evening to a club with a live band and salsa. We were the only gringos there and the locals were loving the music. We had a larger gentleman shimming his bottom at us most of the night as he tried to charm his lady friends next to us!
    Read more