Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Buenos Aires

    March 1, 2017 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    The bus ride from Puerto Iguazu to Burnos Aires was 17 hours but felt like 5! National express and Megabus take note! We had fully reclining wide seats and two meals served, including wine! Films were played, thankfully the first few in English, but I think I followed Mission impossible 4 well in Spanish. Outside of the windows the days tropical storm continued its show of lightening.

    We arrived in a bustling station, ducked into the metro where we struggled to get subecards to travel freely in BA. The locals have no English and didn't seem to understand our faltering Spanish. We're going to have to pick up our game. There was a lot of simple spanish, miming and laughing at the gringos.

    We chilled at our new hostel and explored San Telmo a little. The area has an authentic feel with european-like architecture thats a little rough around the edges. Walk a few meters down what looks like a run down street, and you come across a craft beer pub/ restaurant/ shop. If you don't look you might miss them. We ended our night with a treat. Steak!! We went to a local house called La Brigada, and it was mouthwatering. Will have to survive on supermercado food and empanadas for the rest of our stay though!

    Hostel: Puerto Limon- Managed to splurge out again for a private room, four nights for £48. The room opened up onto its courtyard decorated with fairy lights, which then led through to the covered canteen and big open kitchen. A peaceful hostel with a nice mix of long term hostlers with tourists. San Telmo has a reputation for being a bit rough but we felt safe the whole time we were there.
    Read more