Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 88

    The Golden Gate

    May 17, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    After a doomed trip to see if we could ship things back home to lighten the souvineir load (big fat no at $200 for a package 😨), we ditched the not so free walking tours for the good old hop on hop off bus.
    First stop city hall, a beautiful white building with a gold leaf dome. Inside continued with intricate mouldings, and a fair few brides and their parties were mulling around inside. One of the wedding photographers ushered us downstairs to see a exhibition on the summer of love.

    Jumping back on the bus we stopped to see the painted ladies, before continuing on to the golden gate park (which isn't close to the bridge). Unfortunately the science museum was out of budget so we walked around and had a great hot dog in the sun.

    Highlight of the day came next as we were dropped off on the far end of the bridge. It was a cloudless sunny day so the next hour of walking was spent taking hundreds of photos of this iconic bridge. The aim of staying alive at the end, as the walkway was shared with bicycle traffic from both ways. A tourist on a bike taking a photo is a dangerous thing! Just as we left the boat we saw two couples transfixed by something in the water. A whale had come up for air and was sending spurts of water into the air!

    We walked until the palace of fine arts which had gorgeous lake in front, full of turtles. The tour ended as we whizzed towards the pyramid building before ending at the ferry building. San Fran did not disappoint!
    Read more