Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 94

    Fiji time

    May 23, 2017 in Fiji ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Excuse the silence on the blog for the last few days but I've been enjoying doing nothing and pure relaxation on this incredible island. We've stepped off the traveller path for now to fully embrace the resort tourist way. In the airport we were welcomed with a big Bula (Hello!) and a trio playing ukeleles as we shuffled through security. The welcome and friendliness has not stopped since.

    Our shelter for the day was The Bamboo hostel, a lively hostel full of backpackers and locals. I hung out in a hammock until our room became available to pass out for a few hours. On awaking we met our room mate Kansas who was here on an exchange from uni. A great place for a semester! She was barely functioning too after a night celebrating the crusaders rugby game.

    Next day we took a boat out to the nearest island to try and see some good snorkeling. We were greeted by the staff onto a picturesque little island that takes less than 5 minutes to walk around. One buidling was surrounded by soft sand and palm trees. We sat and sunned ourselves, helping outselves to the free beer and soft drinks. I had the most amazing massage for the equivelent of £12.

    At 10 fiji time we were taken a few hundred meters off shore to snorkel. Following a guide we saw Nemo a feat I hadn't managed in the great barrier reef. We also saw a Eel that loved to he tickled! While the coral is bleached the fish are every colour under the sun. My favourite being the zebra patterned little ones that pop in and out of the coral.

    Next day we arrived in the big treat for myself for doing the W trek and the Andes trek, 5 days in a resort. From the moment we arrived we knew we'd hit gold. The staff are obviously invested, saying Bula at every turn and truly try to get to know you, and make your stay special. We're a novelty here as they don't often have Brits. Its nice, no towels on sun beds, no pushing in at the buffet. Aussies and Kiwis behave themselves in resorts.

    While our first two days were rain and wind, we busied ourselves playing air hockey, pool and squash, between planning New Zealand and having a look around. The evenings we joined the Kava ceremony enjoying high tide glasses. Leaving with a feeling of calm the stuff gives you a fantastic nights sleep!

    We had an unforgettable meal at the Sazanumi Japanese restaraunt. The staff sang for us and we danced along to the songs, getting up at one point to dance the conga! We had teppanyaki which is the style of cooking where the chef cooks in front of you and truly puts on a show of his skills. He chopped at the speed of light and would flick food onto your plate. The food was mouthwatering, and as another guest on our table had her birthday we enjoyed some yummy free choclate cake!

    By our third day glorious blue skies greeted us and we rushed out to the sunbeds overlooking the sea. The landscaping team were climbing the palm trees to knock down the coconuts. Soko a friendly groundsman used his machette to cut open one of the coconuts and we got to enjoy the lovely milk. Snorkling suprised us with the amount of fish around, watching baracudas hunt through the sand, all done while trying to avoid the creepy looking sea snakes at the bottom! The bars at night have amazing singers to relax too after supper.

    We will leave the hotel with a heavy heart after an amazing time, a night in the hostel awaits before a morning flight to Auckland. Our last leg of the journey begins in the land of the long white cloud.
    Read more