Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 116

    The Abel Tasman

    June 14, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Jumping on a water taxi bright and early we set off for a days hiking in the Abel Tasman National Park. We had brief stops at split apple rock and to take picture of thensunbathing seals on Adele Island before being dropped off on Medland beach. We had 5 hours to hike back down to Anchorage bay to be picked up again to return to civilisation.

    A clear, sunny, but cold day, we took our time along the main path through then forest, and took off down side paths to lookouts and sandy coves. At torrent bay the half way point we enjoyed lunch looking out onto the turquoise waters. We finished the hike with half an hour to spare so James continued the Andean tradition of a post hike siesta while I kept watch out for the boat.

    The hostel for the night was full of people with headphones in and blank looks on their faces whilst browsing their phones. It's really disheartening when a greeting gets answered by a grunt. Luckily as we sat down to supper we recognised a Mum and son duo from the hike and chatted happily with them. We were soon joined by an Englishman who was excited for a skydive the next day There is still some hope then.
    Read more