Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 118

    The West Coast

    June 16, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    Leaving the warm north coast behind we drove down towards the Nelson lakes. The first Lake Rotaroa had snowy mountains behind and James became happier that we were finally seeing the real rugged NZ. As he took photos I was happier being the duck whisperer. They were so tame and would happily eat from your hand and allow a quick pet of their feathers.

    We stopped for the night in Punakaki where we were greated by the hostel owner and a kid goat on a lead. He'd found it lost on the road and unabke to figure out where it had come from had taken the task of raising it. Whilst cute now I wish him luck in a few months time when it will eat everything in site!

    Next morning we visited the Pancake rocks and due to rough weather saw the blow hole in action. Very scenic it makes a nice pit stop. The next largish twon along was Greymouth where we stopped in to Monteiths brewery. We took a tour where they actually took us round the back and luckily forbus it was brewing day. We looked on as the brewer was testing the concotion and saw the malt being poured away after. After pouring a taster we sat down and enjoyed a few more. Their light ales were really refreshing! Wary of NZ drink drive limit we had lunch here before continuing the drive south to glacier land!
    Read more