Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Cuenca continued

    July 6, 2023 in Ecuador ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    After 2 days spoilt in an empty dorm room, I asked if I could stay on for a discount. No. So I moved to an 8 bed mixed dormitory. Cue no sleep. The beds are comfy, but everything makes a noise, late arrivals, snoring, party animals and early risers. But a good old bunch and we got along so well, easily my best dormitory experience ever.

    I was going to the Mirador de Turi, which is a high up viewpoint to see the city -best done at night because of the lights. A 20 year old Costa Rican girl asked to join me. I am the same age as her Mum :-) my plan was to walk there 1 hour, and taxi back in the dark. We stolled along, talking in English, Spanish and French. The hilarious thing was we had to climb up the hill, and this did her in. To return, we had to walk to a safe place to get a taxi. But she refused to walk and hailed a taxi on a busy 50 mile an hour road. One did stop and I practically flew through the window to get in quickly. Note to self: I avoided doing anything involving walking with her again.

    The quiet hostel overnight filled up, and we were all socialising in the common area. I had some serious chats with young men, wise beyond their years and was, the centre of attention that night, with funny stories and one liners. It felt really good, like a younger version of myself was back at the helm.

    Not everyone is looking term backpacking, there are some professionals who are making the most of their annual leave allowance. To be identified by those with bigger budgets and nicer clothes :-)

    I convinced Kimberly and Mike to come to a thermal spa with me, Piedra del Agua on the outskirts of town. There were outdoor pools of different temperatures, then we were guided through a circuit of a red mud bath, a blue mud bath, a very hot pool and freezing one (obviously I didn't bother with that one!) In an underground cave, then a Cajon bath (steam box)* Photo is not us.... Followed by a much needed nap on a sun lounger. Needless to say, we enjoyed it immensely but didn't have our phones so no evidence of how great we looked covered in mud.
    Read more