Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Cape Reinga

    April 4, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Another early morning. This time im off to the northern most tip of the island referred to as Cape Reinga. This is the spot where the pacific ocean meets the Tasman sea and i am quite excited to see it!

    Today i learned that 90 mile beach is actually a state highway. Even motor cycles are allowed. I took some sweet shots from the bus. Eventually we arrived at the sand dunes and did some sand boarding which was actually a lot of fun. On the way up the hill I met Emilie who was born in Sweden but had lived all over europe.

    I spent the rest of the day getting to know her and sharing my life story along the way. It was enlightening to share such deep conversation with someone while also being entirely lighthearted about other things.

    The tour then lead us to Cape Reinga which was pretty nice but i had kind of built it up more in my head. Emilie and i took a few photos and then these two asian ladies came up and asked us if they could take a photo with us. It was pretty odd but we had a good chuckle. Then we went to a beach and had lunch as a group. Also got a chance to really hit the water even though i wasnt entirely dressed for it, but it was so worth it. After lunch we drove back down 90 mile beach. Also Chris the bus driver was absolutely wonderful. He even taught us a traditional Mauri song about love and growth which was a lot of fun.

    The day ended with a forest adventure where we sang the song he had taught us to the forest and a fish and chips dinner which definitely hit the spot.

    Once we got back into Paihia Emilie and I took the ferry to Russell the biggest island in the bay where she was staying. We had a few drinks in the first officially licensed pub in new zealand which was neat. It had a very british feel to it and it was absolutely beautiful. Also Speights beer is delicious.

    We walked the shore and chatted a bit more before i took the last ferry back into Paihia. What an absolutely spectacular day!

    Tomorrow im off to Rotorua. Going to be quite the day on the bus. Nighty night.

    -Terrence out

    PS MY PHONE IS ALIVE!!!
    Read more