Satelital
Mostrar en el mapa
  • Día 22

    Blenheim New Zealand

    22 de noviembre de 2013, Nueva Zelanda ⋅ ☁️ 7 °C

    Blenheim, Marlborough, New Zealand
    Friday, November 22, 2013

    Friday 22 November

    We've found it Wine Group - the perfect Marigold Hotel! It was a disappointment when we were unable to book the highly recommended VineView, but this alternative 'The Vintners Retreat' also came equally talked up. A collection of small villas, with a communal pool, pétanque, croquet and veg patch and surrounded by vines as far as the eye can see. One can stagger to any number of wineries and drive short distances to many more. The food in general here is first class and the trousers are getting tighter by the day! What geriatric could ask for more, except good company, which would be guaranteed. The pace is relentless and yesterday's session obviously had more of an affect than I anticipated. I discovered this morning that I had washed the clothes in dishwasher detergent as opposed to Persil. We are certainly sparkling today! Lemon finish is always best!!
    Peter is a happy bunny as the cricket has started and it is on in the background, as I attempt to type (all slightly blurry!). 4 English wickets gone in 10 mins at the Gabba ........
    Great tasting day today. Breakfast out at a local cafe and a large Kiwi for PL who sickeningly never puts on a pound and has no issue with waistbands. We started at Villa Maria and moved on to Cloudy Bay, so all high end stuff. Unsurprisingly, the mood became more and more light hearted as the day wore on. A fine lunch was taken at Rockferry Wineries ( an organic winery ) and we have local cheese and a bottle of Cloudy Bay Pinot Gris in the fridge for later. We selected the Pinot Gris, because it was particularly fine (mind you so was most of those sampled) and not available in the UK at present, as only a small amount made annually.
    A snippet of conversation over lunch that may make you smile..... Another wicket down....
    Geraldine: 'I feel stone cold sober at the moment'
    Peter: 'Long may it continue.... have another glass!
    Geraldine: 'At this rate you'll have to sort me out in the back of the car!'
    Followed by guffaws of laughter and protestations of ' I didn't mean it that way'.
    On the way back to The Retreat we stopped to buy some local cherries on the side of the road and called into some small shops to have a browse. The chap in one recognised us from the Cougar Line launch the other day, unfortunately, we didn't remember him! He was very helpful, giving various ideas for things and restaurants (groan) to try. It transpired that he came from Stamford! So the coincidences go on... Yet another wicket, will have to go for a stroll to calm down.
    Leer más