Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Melbourne Ahoy!

    December 23, 2013 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    St Kilda, Victoria, Australia
    Monday, December 23, 2013

    I am sitting writing tonights's journal in a little flat in St Kilda and it lovely to have a small home from home, if only for a week. Don't faint, but we have finally unpacked the suitcases - a Christmas present to one another you understand. There is a gin and tonic gently clinking at my elbow and an old 'Yes Minister' on the TV. Lost none of it's magic! Couple of old fogeys or what? Don't answer that, it is the season of goodwill after all.
    We left Philip Island this morning to drive to Melbourne and the suburb of St Kilda particularly.
    St Kilda is on the coast of Melbourne Harbour some five miles south of the city centre. It is a seaside village in essence, well serviced by the tram system and has a quirky, relaxed almost louche feel. We may be lucky to escape without some iron work or a tattoo sleeve at the very least. In short I think we will be very comfortable here! We had to return the car to the Avis depot in downtown Melbourne this afternoon and once the task was accomplished had time for a walkabout, which only reinforced the feeling.
    Of course we are here primarily to see the remarkable resurgence of our National Cricket Team. We can only hope for a miracle. All seems set to implode if the chat is anything to go by. The thought has been mooted that Peter may be slightly reluctant to sport his MCC tie which has winged its way here and will be de rigeur, naturally. If you should happen to see a chap in a gorilla suit with glasses, a panama and sporting a blood and custard, you'll know you have found your man. His charming companion will be wearing a large straw sun hat and extremely dark glasses.
    Tomorrow is Christmas Eve and I will be quite lost without my annual fix of stuffing the Turkey. For the first time in 35 years someone else is stuffing it for me, namely the chef at the MCG.
    If I can get over the guilt I will try to enjoy it!
    Happy stuffing.
    Read more