Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Christmas Eve in the sun

    December 24, 2013 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    St Kilda, Victoria, Australia
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013

    Well this is it, the day of manic preparation , the storm before the storm, except for here in Australia. The cafés are packed, the beaches are suddenly sporting Christmas trees fully decorated, guys bicycle past dressed as Santa Claus, the sun is shining and that is probably the big difference in approach. Christmas here is a late bloomer and lighthearted. Climate matters.
    St Kilda is an eclectic mix of style which blend seemlessly together; Edwardian villas, Victorian theatres, Art Deco mansion blocks with contemporary highlights. Our small apartment is attached to a late Georgian cottage of pure Jane Austin charm and built in 1864. Fawkner and nearby Havelock Street are are both of that genre and Fawkner Street has a particular claim to fame. It's most famous resident was one Dulcie Markham, a gangsters moll, who married Leonard 'Dedda' Lewis in her Fawkner Street abode. A week later they were both run out of town by the police for their involvement in a double killing in Dulcie's house. How's that for coincidence. I'd be willing to bet that another Dulcie has not lived here since, until now.
    Sleep well. Happy Christmas!!
    Read more