Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    And so this is Christmas!

    December 25, 2013 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    St Kilda, Victoria, Australia
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013

    It has been thirty something in the shade today and as such a typical Aussie Christmas.
    We had our first glimpse of the MCG today as we were there for Christmas Lunch . There is a reciprocal arrangement between The MCC and the MCG, hence we were able to see inside the pavilion and which is pretty smart, in thoroughly modern style; quite unlike Lords of course, but none the less very interesting The Dining Room seats around 400 people and has a glass wall overlooking the pitch, so whatever you may be doing you will not miss a ball. Apparently, the men's cloakroom has the same feature, but from the waist up, you'll be relieved to hear!
    We were very well looked after and had the opportunity to wander round after lunch and have a look at the pitch, which is a drop in. Both teams had practised there earlier in the morning before having their lunch in a different part of the ground.
    It was a beautiful evening on our return to St Kilda and out of curiosity we took a walk down the Main Street and along the beach promenade. To our astonishment it was heaving, with people just everywhere. The beach was still wall to wall. Even a German would have had a job to place a towel! There were BBQs and picnics at every vantage point and I think you can safely say the Aussies do things differently. More light hearted and casual, which should not be a surprise, as they do have that reputation. It was an eye opener just the same, but fun. I think the fact that everything is so different, has taken our minds off the fact that we are half a world away from all that is dear to us. A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS DAY TO YOU ALL.
    Read more