Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Lake Louise

    July 12, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    We were really tired after yesterday’s high jinks and decided to have a quieter’lake’ day and to enjoy Chateau Lake Louise, which is a stunning make believe French Chateau situated right on the lake. Having said all that, we ended up walking 6 miles one way and another, so plenty of steps. The weather has been overcast and again a bit hazy, so the views are not as clear as one would like, but regardless the beauty of the scenery touches the heart.
    This morning we walked the footpath around Lake Louise, which extends half way around its circumference. We were not alone, as there were plenty of visitors doing the same, of all nationalities. There were beautiful wild flowers and lots of little chipmunks, some of whom were so tame as to almost be posing for photographs as you’ll see! It is a different story this evening as I write to you by the window. All is still and calm and the crowds have gone. It is a privilege to see it in its more natural state.
    The afternoon saw us visit Moraine Lake using the hotel shuttle. It is only possible to visit on a tour of one type or another, the narrow winding road being closed to private cars. It is also only open during the summer months, as during the winter the lake freezes over and temperatures can reach -40 degrees, making the road impassable.
    We had an hour and half to take it all in and followed our drivers advice by heading for the ‘Rock Pile’ first. This is a steep stepped climb to the top of ….well….a rock pile funnily enough! It takes about 20 mins each way. The sun had come out and the temperature risen, hence it was quite arduous, but worth every step. The view over the lake was absolutely breathtaking. Mountains encircle the water and the colour is a vibrant turquoise blue. We walked part of the footpath also, but undoubtedly the view to be had was from the rock pile. A gorgeous afternoon. On our way back the driver asked which of the two lakes we preferred. No one could answer. Both are spectacular.
    This evening we ate at the Fairview restaurant and had a window table, so could drink in that sublime view whilst attempting to do justice to the equally sublime food. This is yet another very special place to hold in the memory bank.
    Read more