Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Day 17 - Chillin’ on the Camino

    October 2, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” – J. R. R. Tolkien

    Day 16 - Villalcázar de Sigra to Carrión de Los Condes - 5.6km -1hr 5min

    Shortest day yet, but there are a couple of good excuses! I want a bath. A real bath. Not a shower in a shared bathroom, but a bath! Also, needed a short day to just chill and hang out. So, here we are!

    Walked with Carolyn this morning and she sets a tough pace. We made it to Carrión de Los Condes in just over an hour. Waited at a cafe for Jenny to arrive before we went to the Hostal. Thankfully, we were able to check in early and leave our bags in our rooms.

    Carolyn needed a new shirt (or 2!) so we headed back to a store that was open and specifically for travel/pilgrims. She got what she needed and we all went to lunch. I have some Lovely garlic shrimp and patates bravas. Mmmmmm!

    After lunch, I had a lovely long bath and a short nap - just what the Dr. ordered. Ok, there was no Dr., but it was well needed!!!

    Everything is closed on Sundays (with the exception if one or two places - literally). Thankfully one of the other open places was a grocery store. We grabbed some groceries so we can have eggs and bacon in the morning, and some soup for dinner since we had our main meal earlier.

    Got all our laundry done and spent the rest of the day planning the next week or two, distances, places to stay etc. It’s all part of the journey. And having at least a remote idea of where you want to end up is particularly important this year. I was hoping to wing it and just stop when I needed, and get a bed somewhere. That’s isn’t working as well this year because the Camino is SO busy. Beds are often all booked and I am also sending my pack now, most days. That needs a destination. Which in turn ties you to ensuring you get to a specific place each day - and have a booking there.

    We decided we had had enough of planning and would go across to the bar for a nightcap. 3 or 4 wines later, I am trying to write this blog while half cut. C’est La vie. It was a lovely day spent with wonderful new friends. Who can ask for anything more??
    Read more