Satellite
  • Day 5

    Rome

    April 8, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Woke up at 7. Now lounging around waiting for it to get to 10 for our Skype date with the Pickering's :)
    We booked a hotel for tomorrow night though so that's one less stress.
    Oh but lucky me, hotmail has decided I don't live in Greece so must be a hacker and has blocked me out of my email. :/ a tad stressed but hopefully it's fixable once back on the laptop. I tried on my phone and I gave them "insufficient evidence" that it's me -.-

    We Skyped Helen and Bill first. It was really nice to talk to them. We then called Jess and Jaxon. Jaxon gave us his award winning smile so he must have know who we were #favouriteaunty
    It was great to talk to Jess too :)

    We then walked in the general direction of the police station to find somewhere to have breakfast - we ended up in St Peters square where there was tonnes and tonnes of seats in preparation for Easter Sunday tomorrow. We were thinking about visiting the Vatican today but decided against it - the line was 200m+ long.
    We ate a cute little resturant then went searching - this is when our day turned to shit.
    We found the police station and said we were here to get our Visa's signed off. We were sent to some lady whose English was practically nonexistent - she kept saying we don't need to get signed off..
    she sent us to someone else who sent us to some one else and then we finally spoke to what I think was the chief. His English wasn't great either..
    basically long story short - I hate the Italian consulate, the information that have provided from the beginning has been total crap.
    The police had no frigging idea what we were doing there and didn't understand what we wanted/needed. After lots of attempts at communication it turns out we need to go to the POST office not POLICE station. WHICH GUESS WHAT!? IS CLOSED UNTIL MONDAY BUT WE FLY BACK TO GREECE TOMORROW, WHICH IS SUNDAY........
    we even have a damn piece of paper given to us by the consulate that states police station ....

    So basically, we are going to have to fly back another time before June 13th.
    We tried looking into cancelling our return flight and accommodation but getting a new return flight will cost us 250€.. not happening.
    We are extremely annoyed and frustrated!

    We tried finding the post office to make sure it wasn't open and first one we found said they couldn't help us and to ask the police..... wanting to scream at this point.. but we eventually figured out it was because they were the Vatican post office not the Italian one..
    We found the Italian one, it was closed but we now know where to find it when we come back.
    I guess we know what Will's birthday money is going towards -.-

    We walked back to the Bnb to try and make arrangements and once we had got our thoughts together we decided to go for a walk to the trevi fountain.

    Longggg walk. About 4km there. Rome is smashing Athens. Everything is so old and beautiful. Every building looks purposefully built and cared for with raw history. The alleyways we took to find the fountain were exactly what comes to mine when I think of Italy - cobbled stone streets, with vines up walls and little tables out front.
    We both really enjoyed the fountain, it was peaceful and like everything else, beautifully constructed. Unfortunately very busy but we made our way through to grab a few photos and throw some coins in. Will says I did it wrong but he likes complaining.

    Next we thought we would walk over to the colosseum. We walked around it once - we've agreed that when we come back this is one place I want to actually pay for a tour guide in because it's history/story really interests me. We sat for a while just thinking about how many people and animals had died inside and how scared they must have been in the waiting bays.
    We took lots of selfies too :)
    We then walked back to the hotel. On the way we past so many spectacular sights - I have no clue what they were but they were big, detailed and impressive!!

    20 odd kilometers we walked today. Our feet and legs are very tired!!
    Read more