Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Exploring Uluru

    July 24, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 14 °C

    We were a little slow this morning after our fabulous night last night. Had potentially more wine than we thought 😀. We wanted to attend the free Ranger guided walk this morning so left our camp around 9:30. There were around 50 people waiting with us. There were two Rangers and they walked us around about 1.5km of the rock. It was so worth it to get some background about the rock and the cultural sensitivities.

    After the tour finished we wandered back along the track having a closer look at the sites they discussed without all the people. It was actually pretty quiet with only a couple of hundred people either walking or biking around the rock. We chose to bike and it was so interesting to see the different faces of the rock and the ways different faces had weathered.

    After the ride we went to the cultural centre which explained how the Anangu people live in the area and also how Uluru was restored to their people. The park is co-managed between the Anangu people and the Parks Department. Quiet afternoon walking around the resort and more photos at the look-outs. Of course we had to watch one last sunset over the rock before we hitch up the caravan tomorrow and back-track north away from the desert sand and into tropical areas.
    Read more