Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 41

    Final Darwin day

    August 6, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    This morning we had breakfast before heading to Palm Creek for a walk. Palm Creek is located within Holmes Jungle Park which is a wildlife corridor to allow native animals to move safely across the Territory. Our walk was only 3 km but with a few crocodile warnings to keep the heart pumping.

    A few house keeping tasks, making new muesli (Regan), washing down the gazebo of all the dust and some more laundry. After a swim and lunch we headed to the museum. We had a couple of hours there, initially being freaked out by all the things that can kill you in the NT both on the land and the sea. I said to Regan I am not sure I will leave the caravan for the rest of the trip.

    We also spent a large amount time in the exhibition about Cyclone Tracy which occurred on Christmas Day 1974. I remember it very clearly as a child and it was incredible to see the devastation now I know a little bit of the city. The remote location of Darwin really emphasised how difficult the rebuilding must have been. Initially every rebuilt house had to have its own cyclone bunker. These regulations have since been relaxed. The information about the evacuation of over half the population was interesting- pic attached.

    Later in the afternoon we drove back up to East Point where we found a picnic spot overlooking the beach. We called our Danish friends who were supposed to be meeting us in Darwin this time last year. It was a little mean to be sitting there in the sun but it had to be done. Back to the caravan for supper of the delicious treats we bought last night at the market.
    Read more