Satellite
  • Day 9

    Waiotapu Geothermal Wonderland

    April 6, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Okay so 9am Felix and I set out for our first of two adventures today! It's not quite as nice of weather down here compared to Paihia so had to dress warmer but at least there was sun and not rain! Also this morning while getting ready I found out there is a dog that lives in the hostel! DAY MADE!

    Waiotapu was our first adventure. Our first stop was a geothermal mud pool. The mud bubbled repeatedly and steam rose constantly from the surface of the mud. It was 100°C or 212°F. Pretty crazy stuff.

    The next stop was a geyser which erupted right in front of us. It was nice but really not as epic as I thought it would be. In fact most people seemed quite disappointed. Still quite amazing when you stop and think about it though!

    Finally we made it to the park. It offered a 3km walk/hike with all sorts of beautiful nature scenes. I took a few pictures. The sulfur and other elements created lakes and pools with colours that were quite abnormal. Some bright greens, some reds, even purples. I had a small butter chicken pot pie for lunch which was surprisingly quite tasty. Felix and I even had a few birds pull up and sit with us at the table which was quite nice.

    After lunch Felix and I took the bus back to the hostel. My post is going to end here but my day doesn't so be sure to read the next post about my evening adventure with Felix!

    -Terrence out
    Read more