Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Kalambaka/Meteora Monasteries/Athens

    October 9, 2021 in Greece ⋅ 🌧 61 °F

    Raining today...get out the rain gear.🌧️

    Leaving the hotel at 8:30 and short drive to the Meteora Monasteries. Nothing I can describe is the visual impact of the huge pillars of rock mountains jutting straight up almost to the stratosphere. Solid straight granite, defies any normal mountain range I have ever seen. Only 4 Monasteries remain from 24, we visited 2 only. The sheer beauty of the religious art was amazing. And the stone built buildings was typical Crusader/Byzantine style architecture.
    Hard to believe that monks who lived in caves built these religious monuments.

    Back to Kalambaka for a lovely lunch..now onto a long days ride to Athens.

    Nice long ride home, actually back to the Golden Age hotel in Athens about 630 pm.

    A quick shower and dress up for dinner. Last trip excursion of the Greek Tour, to a night club called the Zafiro. Good food, and dancing with entertainment. And of course plate breaking!!
    Should have seen me..a dancing old man dancing greek circles...I missed it so.

    I love Greece!

    Said our good byes to Orianna, I know we'll see her in the next 5 days. Going to miss her, the best guide we ever had. The pic of the Greeks already used but appropriate because of what we saw at the night club.

    After the show...a 2 pipe night cap.
    Read more