Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Christchurch, Lyttleton, Akaroa

    February 17, 2022 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Yesterday was a travel day getting from Tekapo to Christchurch so not many photos to show. Beautiful views of the McKenzie Country and then the Rakaia River Gorge. As soon as we arrived in Christchurch we marked our spot for the night and headed through the Lyttleton tunnel to see the port. There's a view of that looking down over the container terminal out to sea. We watched the cranes for a while and on our way back we saw the signs to go and see the Timeball Station (google it - quite interesting) . Anyway, Mark decided to head up there...they might have warned us the road wasn't suitable for campers! The street got very narrow to the point that Karin had to get out and make sure I wasn't going to touch either the fence or the car parked on the other side of the road. There was no way out so we just kept going till we reached the end of the street.
    Today we spent the day out at Akaroa - the little French settlement out on Banks Peninsula. The Harbour is a flooded volcanic cone and the settlement was an early attempt by the French to get established in NZ. Lovely place - like Russell in Northland but French rather than English.
    Off to Kaikoura tomorrow. Time is running out and we want to see a few more things before we go home.
    Read more