Satellite
  • Day 207

    Sunrise Beach Walk, Winery & Hot pools

    August 4, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    This morning we got up at 6.30. We parked up by the beach and went for a short walk around the base of Mount Maunganui. It was dark but the sun was beginning to come up. We had a beautiful sunrise at sea we watched the waves crashing against the rocks as the sun came up. Great way to start the morning. We then went to New World Supermarket to get something for breakfast. We picked up some croissants and enjoyed them with a cup of tea by the beach watching the surfers.

    We next drove to a lookout point Minden Lookout we had great views of Tauranga city, Mount Maunganui, the harbour, islands and far beyond. We could even see White Island in the distance. It was a beautiful sunny day and 16 degrees which is pretty warm for the winter.

    We had lunch and then drove to Mills Reef winnery. We tried about 8 bottles of wine. They were all very nice. Our favourite was the Falconhead 2020 Sauvignon Blanc. It was on special we only had to pay $12 for a bottle. There was a $5 each tasting fee but the woman didn't charge us for it. Normally I'll spend loads at a Winnery. Nice to only spend $12 for a change.

    After this we went to the Mount Hot Pools, natural salt pools at the bottom of Mount Maunganui. Some pools were very hot at 40 regress. It was very relaxing though. We got back about 7pm. Spent the evening relaxing in the campervan. Very tired after a busy day today.
    Read more