Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Melbourne City

    September 18, 2011 in Australia ⋅ 🌫 17 °C

    Ok a bit better and after loosing a few kilos with our pizzas the night before we decided to explore Melbourne city, the plan was to go to Federation Square and then use the tourist shuttle to get the most of the city.

    This time we hopped out of the train at Flinders Station and then across the road Federation Square waited for us. After spending some time at the Visitor Centre (great place to gather information) we went to the Yarra waterfront to get a few pics of the South Bank's skyline.

    Back in Federation Square we had to rush across the road to get on the tourist shuttle, this service is a great way to visit the most iconic areas of Melbourne, the problem is that it gets really busy (maybe because it was Sunday).

    First stop the Melbourne Cricket Ground MCG. An Indian couple left here quite excitedly, we are South Americans so Cricket is not on top of the list. Don't get me wrong I think the MCG is one of the greatest stadiums of the world but for soccer fans like us sport temples are Maracana, Camp Nou or Wembley among others.

    Next stop Little Bourke street, that's right we were here the day before so we kept going. Next stop Royal Exhibition Centre and Melbourne museum, now we were talking. We actually didn't get into any of the two buildings....the reason, there was an exhibition in the Royal "Exhibition" building of course and we weren't keen on paying a fee for something we weren't interested in and I had read bad reviews about the Tutankamon exhibition at the museum so we decided to get some photos (especially of the water fountain), something to eat and off we went.

    This time we used the Free City Circle Tram, at La Trobe st, a reminiscence of years long go, the tram is not that comfortable but worth a ride. Passing Etihad Stadium we hopped out at the Docklands where there was a Sunday flea Market and then we ended up in Harbour Town, happy girls.

    Next item on the agenda was the Shrine of Remembrance, we got there using the Tourist shuttle once again, not that crowded this time. The Shrine is really the last stop before the shuttle bus goes back to Federation Square.

    The Shrine itself is an amazing building based on classic Greek architecture, the location is also Ideal in the heart of the Domain. Starting from the museum one gets immersed in military history while making the way to the top. From the very top of the building there are spectacular views back to Melbourne city.

    Very satisfied with the Shrine of Remembrance we headed to our last stop of the day, South Bank and the Eureka tower.

    South bank promenade is very trendy with cafes and pubs in every corner, and of course street performers to keep entertained the multitude that comes here every weekend. We were getting close to dusk so we made our way to Eureka tower, looking for that perfect photo.

    The Skydeck is definitely a must do while in Melbourne. We had visited Rialto towers years ago but Eureka tower was a complete new experience besides having an excellent view of Melbourne's skyline. A visit to level 88 would have not been complete without jumping on the edge, I did it with little Ximena who couldn't stop talking about it all the way back to the hotel. The wait paid off, we had that sunset photo with the Yarra river. I wanted to stay a bit longer to get some photos of the city at night but Ximena wasn't feeling ok so we went back to the apartment...

    Tomorrow we were going to the beach.
    Read more