Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Singapore zoo & Fireworks

    December 31, 2013 in Singapore ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Yovanna was feeling really sick now I took Ximena to Singapore zoo rather than Legoland. In all honestly we avoided the hustle and bustle of crossing the border to Malaysia just to get to Legoland where the rides are for young kids, Ximena likes thrill rides.

    The return ticket train + bus was around $12 for myself and Ximena, still is a long trip, 6 train stations to Ang Mo Kio station and then 35 minutes on a jumpack full bus to the zoo.

    [PHOTO_ID_L=at-singapore-zoo.jpg] The line to get tickets was longer than the great wall but moved quickly. We chose the 2 park admission including the "Zoo" and " River Safari"

    What can I say about the Zoo? It was good but nothing out of the ordinary. I mean we have visted so many zoos including San Diego and Werribee that this one was just another zoo, still worth visting.

    A great surprise was the River Safari. This is a themed zoo based on a number of great rivers including the Mississipi, Yangtze, Mekong, Nile and of course the mighty Amazon. The fauna was diverse and the exhibits were well presented.

    A highlight could have been the giant panda exhibit but the lazy bear did not move at all.

    The trip back to the hotel was painful just because we were so tired, still some energies left to go to the midnight fireworks at Marina Bay so after having a rest we went to Raffles city to get some dinner and then to Marina bay, we made it at Round 9:30pm. As expected there were already millions of locals on the best spots, I guess locals because I can't imagine a tourist spending all day there instead of going somewhere else.

    Everybody was targeting a photo with the impressive Marina sandy bay towers however the countdown was on the facade of a building in the CBD. The fireworks lasted 8 minutes but seemed like eternity. Still they could be better, the place is amazing just not smartly used IMO.[PHOTO_ID_R=countdown-at-this-building.png]

    Going back to the hotel was terrible, it took us one hour what normally takes 15 minutes, just because police installed barriers and didn't let people walk, in some instances we waited 15 minutes just to get across the road. Yovanna is feeling a bit better, good news.

    Our stay in Singapore is nearly over, tomorrow afternoon we will be flying into another Asia's great cities Kuala Lumpur.
    Read more