Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Day 14: Quéntar to Granada

    May 10, 2023 in Spain

    Day 14, from Quéntar to Granada, 21.4km (counting all the detours).
    The last day of three beautiful stages, this one did not disappoint.
    The sound of the water of the Río de Aguas Blancas accompanied us as we left Quéntar. We followed a nice path along vegetable gardens and vineyards. It was too early to find anything open in Dúdar. So we didn't linger and started the steep climb. Fortunately, it wasn't yet too hot.
    A pause at the Canal de los Franceses, the remains of an aqueduct so called because it was built during the Napoleonic invasion, and the climb continued.
    At the top, we walked along a ridge. The acacias ( we think that's what they are) add a lovely touch of yellow to the beautiful landscape around us.
    Everything that goes up must come down, and we walked down to cross the Río Darro near the ruins of Jesus del Valle, a hacienda originally built by the Jesuits. A path through olive groves, then another along the Río Darro, finally lead us to the Sacromonte.
    As we are already there, why not visit this historical monument? The visit was enhanced by a flamenco concert in the cloister.
    And to top off the day, we arrived in Granada with breathtaking views of the Alhambra.
    Read more