Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Three Ways

    July 23, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    So we came to the end of our journey along the Barkly Highway to Three ways.
    It was a bit of an anticlimax as we turned left towards SA, and home.
    We were headed for Tennent Creek , and managed to secure a spot in the Tennant Creek CP. It was a nice quiet little park, a bit faded, but right on the main street. I guess the occupancy of the town was mostly aboriginal, as the fence surrounding the park was topped by razor wire and spikes. The main gate closed by 8pm and required a code to enter after this time. The park was managed by a couple from Reynella SA. They originally were just passing through when the axle of their car broke. An expensive job to repair - so when the previous managers offered them a job, they jumped at it. We wandered into town looking for a pie shop! - it has sort of become our 'thing' wherever we stop. A lot of aboriginals were also wandering the streets. We had also heard of a great IGA, so were also looking for that. We saw a cafe on the other side of the road to us, but kept walking - hoping to come across the IGA. It proved to be too far so we returned to the cafe. I had a barramundy burger, and Ian had a steak sandwich. Very expensive lunch, but tasty.
    It appeared that there was a local AFL match taking place, and Ian was keen to see it. So for $3 dollars each, we stood, and watched the end of one match and the very slow start to another. Stray dogs roamed around looking for scraps to eat, and people to love, or perhaps even soft fluffy dogs like Frankie to attack. Apart from about 3 other people, all the crowd were very black.
    On return to the CP, we met a couple from Venice Bay. Veronica and Bronte - They had a very solid square dog (can't place the breed). He was as strong as all buggery, but friendly. Frankie wasn't too taken with him. Bronte had a larengectomy so Veronica did all the talking. Ian drove into town to the Drive Thru at the pub, he bought some beer - but wasn't allowed to buy anything else. It's to restrict the Aboriginal population from buying too much alcohol. So I had to return to the drive through for a bottle of Vodka for us both. A very attractive blond and young police woman checked my ID, and asked how long we were stayng. I replied 'just one night'...and she replied 'ýeah, one night is enought! We finally drove to the IGA...and it really was fantastic!..it was like walking into another world....Fresh food, clean, cool, and unbelievable.
    Read more