Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 236

    The charms of silent Kyoto

    November 1, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Visiting Kyoto implied for us a lot of walking, cycling, sightseeing, to discover bit by bit the charms of this former capital of Japan. Below, you have a glimpse of the "traditional" district of Gion, where real Geishas walk alongside touristic Geishas (using a rental costume and not always Japanese), the silver pagoda and its peaceful zen garden, the philosophy's trail (named after the daily walk of a master of philosophy), various temples and gardens...

    Two nights at a row, we mix this traditional atmosphere with "western style" entertainment, to watch the rugby games ! But even in pubs, everything is very quiet. Nothing to do with the game I watched in Korea, where a high percentage of foreigners created a crazy atmosphere in the bar. The Japanese seem to be a very and introvert folk (at least when watching a rugby game... maybe after several glasses of sake it becomes more lively !). Back at our home, an old house in the textile district, north-west of the imperial palace, we also wonder where the inhabitants have gone, since there isn't a single sound around. At least it is perfect for enjoying good nights of sleep on our futons...
    Read more