Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Varanasi 2

    February 25, 2023 in Australia

    We start too early and drive to Sarnath which is one of the 4 most important Buddhist pilgrimage destinations in the world. This site is also significant because it is the place where Buddha gave his first sermon. Buddah was actually a skinny guy, built more like Ghandi than the big-bellied buddhas we see. “Came from in China” said Manoj 2. Buddhists make up about 1% of India’s population. The site is big and open with the main feature being a huge stupa. Lots of schoolkids and a few religious groups. It is a quiet, enjoyable and pleasant break from the chaos of Varanassi.
    Then a silk factory where we see a couple of guys operating their Jacquard-controlled foot powered hand looms. Silk weaving is typically done within the home and it takes about 3 days to make a scarf, 10 to 20 days to make a large shawl. Most weavers are Muslims. Power looms are now contributing to the decline in traditional weavers. Then upstairs to the hard sell which bears an uncanny resemblance to the carpet emporiums we have visited in other countries. Much more pleasant on the hard selling though. Some of the ladies ‘take one for the team’. Lunch is a delicious vegetarian thali at Shree Shivay restaurant. Lots of little bowls which kept being refilled with the tasty delights as fast as we ate.
    On the way back to the hotel, we noticed a small truck with a body wrapped in gold cloth, surrounded by presumably family members. They were on their way to the Ghats for a cremation. Time now for a welcome rest then dinner. Most didn’t linger.
    Read more