Satellite
Mostra sulla mappa
  • Giorno 7

    Varanasi 3

    26 febbraio 2023, Australia ⋅ 🌙 14 °C

    Early departure again today to visit the Ghats. Another boat trip. Very similar boat, with the addition of chairs and a sunshade. In the mornings lots of people bathe in the holy Ganga waters. Each Ghat is named and some are for men and others women. There is a large number of people cleaning up, which surprised us. The girls wearing smart blue and white outfits are school students. They volunteer school by school on Sundays. The volunteer men wear khaki and white uniforms. Tony wasn’t paying attention to Manoj 2 when he explained where they come from. We cruise slowly along the whole Varanasi waterfront, alighting to see the cremation fires up close (no photos). We also visit a square with a distant view of the Thai temple.
    Back into the boat we settle in for the long ride down to Ramnagar Fort. Ashore, it’s a sandy walk followed by a typical crowded market walk to get to the fort. Lots of bloodthirsty historical weapons inside. Glad we didn’t live in the 18th and 19th centuries.
    After lunch at the hotel, T and U decided to get some cash. Google maps found an ATM not far away so we walked there. Not quite the relaxed level stroll one could imagine, but we found it, operated it and pocketed our cash. Next task was to buy some tonic water to dilute our gin which Tony had thoughtfully bought in Singapore. As it is Sunday most potential shops were shut. For some reason there were lots of car-oriented places open. Oh well. 1 out of 2. Hotel room service can supply the tonic, but where’s the challenge in that?
    Out to dinner to a large function centre. We have tables outside near the pool. 1 beer and 1 glass of wine each on the house. The beer is a longneck of Kingfisher. The wine is ok. We are entertained by a 4-piece musical ensemble with a young dancer. She’s good; very lively. [Link to dancing video: https://youtu.be/fHxh-9WwKdQ]. Her mother was sitting next to the stage watching every move. The food didn’t match the setting. Driving day tomorrow to Lucknow.
    Leggi altro