Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 117–118

    Whilst in Wellington

    March 10 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Around noon we drove to Picton for the booked 2:15pm ferry over to the North Island. K suggested a drive along Victoria Domain Road, where we parked for a short hike along a section of the Snout Track. We were cutting it a little close for the ferry time and couldn't do the entire walk.

    We arrived on time for our designated check-in at the ferry. In short order we were onboard. Our ferries back home, BC Ferries, definitely seems smoother with loading as they don't have onboard ramps and cars doing 180 degree turns 🔃. Before long we were setting sail through the Queen Charlotte Sound toward the open water of The Cook Straight. A booked us a spot in the premium lounge where enjoyed a variety of buffet lunch items (chicken, Lamb, salads...). The fellow we initially sat across from was very socially awkward and we excused ourselves before heading up to the top deck to enjoy the sun and scenic sailing.

    By late afternoon we had arrived at the Wellington ferry port. Disembarking wasn't as chaotic as anticipated, and before long we were on our way to our hotel in downtown. We were able to get the free parking and room upgrade after explaining a couple times our loyalty status from Expedia. The city view was pretty 😍 Though a stylish bathroom with frosted glass walls, functionally it is strange. The hotel parkade was quite the challenge for any experienced driver with very tight corners and awkwardly perpendicular parking spots. The transmission on the car didn't like a steep reverse strategy on a ramp so we had to exit the parkade and try again 😅. Although we had an assigned spot, we had to find another as it was already occupied.

    For dinner, we went to Mr GO's per K's suggestion. It was a very interesting menu with a creative tapas take on Asia food. The cold peanut noodles certainly did make our mouth tingle from the spice like the waitress mention 😛 After we went for a walk down Cuba Street, and around the CBD. It was fairly warm and quiet Sunday evening 🌟
    Read more