Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    On top of the world

    January 13 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Room service brekky and off to the Table mountain cable way. Enroute the tour guide asks if anyone is afraid of heights. I sit on my hands. He then explains that the cable car rotates for a 360 degree view and not to hold on to any railings. It’s a crystal clear sparkly magic day as we ascend with our group - first car up for the day. We have 2 hours at the top to walk and view and it is indeed spectacular. Granite formations were once covered in sedimentary rock which has eroded to leave the igneous formation underneath . Elevation 1084.6 m. It’s like the top of the world. Great walking pathways lead to a variety of flora and fauna spotting - rock rabbits, black lizards, brown tip starlings, some kind of mini honeyeater, butterflies, dragon fly (of course) and a huge variety of interesting flowers and shrubs. We see some crazy people abseiling and many hikers on the trails up the mountain. It’s a perfect morning. Back to the ship for a champers before lunch!
    Lunch with Ian and Royce at La Terrazza and a spectacular sail away looking at Table Mountain from our perfect possie complete with a very nice chenin blanc!
    Royce and I nap and then to Bingo and Trivia where we gather a great team of Aussies and 1 from the UK. We come 3rd! Woo hoo. A lovely group of people.
    Caviar and champagne in our room before dinner with Ian at La Terrazza which transforms into an Italian restaurant and I have the best pasta I think I’ve ever had followed by prawns in cognac sauce. Wow.
    Early to bed and a great nights sleep!
    Read more