Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Athens Day 2

    May 17, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    After our experience in Naxos we got up nice and early to make sure we were at the walking tour meeting point with plenty of time to spare. Our tour guide told us that nothing runs on time and/or goes to plan in Greece, which we had definitely experienced. Billy was our tour guide and she was very knowledgeable and funny whilst telling us all about Greek history. Steve and I got a lot out of the tour — it was a great way to get our bearings. We walked through the botanic gardens, saw a bunch of different ancient monuments and ended up back near our accomodation.

    We then had a quick lunch at another vegan place, then decided to head to the Ancient Agora. Tomorrow is International Museum Day which means that everything will be free entry, but also that the crowds will be horrendous, so we decided to go along today. We used a free audio guide to talk us through the Agora and found it fascinating. We then had a quick drink at A for Athens, a rooftop bar that looks out towards the Acropolis.

    By then it was about 6pm and we figured it would be a good time to head up there and visit the Acropolis — the sun wasn’t too biting anymore and we assumed a lot of people would be heading down for dinner. The climb up wasn’t too bad, and while there were plenty of people around it didn’t seem too bad. We once again listened to an audio guide and spent an hour or so enjoying the view and checking out the remains of the Parthenon and other buildings. It’s absolutely mind blowing! We cannot believe we are here in Athens. It started to get very windy so we headed down to get some dinner in the Psyri neighbourhood, which is sort of like Fitzroy in Melbourne. There was a demonstration at the main square with heaps of people waving flags and singing.

    We had dinner at Flint which was beautiful and we both enjoyed a glass of white wine, stuffed mushrooms and octopus. We then headed to a beer place to have another drink and as we went to pay they gave us shots of tsipouro on the house. We then stumbled home well and truly ready for bed.
    Read more