Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Lolo lesson

    March 4, 2023 in Fiji ⋅ 🌧 28 °C

    Today we woke up to the sun after what has to be the best sleep we have had in a very long time. We walked along the beach to breakfast before reading and watching the waves roll in for a little while. At 10am we had a cooking lesson from Chef Michael, who showed us how to make ika lolo (fish in coconut). First we cracked the coconut with the back of a cleaver, then we scraped out the coconut flesh. B was a star at both of these, and Michael said he could put B to work with a whole sack of coconuts 😂 Michael then proceeded to scrape the coconut at lightning speed. We finished off the dish, cooking the fish, adding the fresh coconut milk and a few other ingredients. It was fantastic! After that we headed back to our bure for a dip in the water, floating with the slow waves rolling in was very relaxing. We then did some reading before lunch. After lunch we played some chess, went back to our bure for more reading and relaxing before a storm came over. At around 6:30pm we headed up for entertainment, which was Dumu playing guitar, and quickly turned into a chat about football - he was quite keen to learn about AFL, and was excited to tell us that Fiji was playing Australia (NSW) in the rugby tonight. We had dinner and then returned to our bure for some reading (and writing this blog for me).

    Breakfast: oatmeal with caramelised bananas (B), toasted muesli (A), fresh fruit, toast and coffee

    Lunch: grilled fish salad (A+B), snowball (B - ice-cream in coconut and chocolate sauce), fruit (A)

    Dinner: Vietnamese spring rolls (A+B), green Thai curry with chicken (A), pork with pineapple salsa and cassava chips (B) and delicious okra. Profiteroles for dessert (A+B).
    Read more