Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 104

    The wine is empty

    July 25, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    🇩🇪Deutsche Version in den Kommentaren
    🇫🇷Version française en commentaire

    🇬🇧 Before the last working week begins for us we went hiking on the Maukatere / Mount Grey. This time it went a little higher, to 933 meters. The weather was beautiful and we enjoyed great views, could see the Pacific Ocean and even our vineyard. For the coming week the weather forecast does not look particularly good, but we hope to be able to work a lot. Until Thursday, the weather was okay, on Friday there were sometimes heavy showers but also beautiful rainbows. Our supervisor then said we could go home since the weather was unpredictable. We took a group photo and then went back to the campsite where we warmed up with long hot showers. The next day was our last, until the morning we didn't know if we would work, due to the weather. Then the news: From 12 o'clock it will rain, who wants to work before can come. So we got ready and worked a little more, then handed in our work tools and said goodbye to the hardworking lawnmowers🐑. It was a strange feeling, now a new phase begins.
    One more night we stay at the campsite, and now it also starts to rain, as predicted. However, it does not stop. It also makes no appearance to stop ever… The next day everything is was under water. But today we want to go to Christchurch, if that is possible? David, the campground owner, warned us that some roads are closed. We pack Bongo, say goodbye to our friends and hit the road. If it is too bad we could come back. The rivers, which usually appear to have dried up, are completely filled, right under the bridges. Some of the roads are completely flooded, but we make it through anyway. Arrived in Christchurch we strengthen ourselves at our favourite restaurant with Dal Bhat and afterwards we drive to New Brighton to the beach to spend the night there. It has stopped raining in the meantime, now we enjoy the sound of the sea instead of the rain pattering on Bongo's roof.
    Today we’ll go to Methven, we want to ski. Whether we can and Mount Hutt is not closed because of storms we will find out on Thursday.
    PS: The last four pictures are New Brighton Beach
    Read more