Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Wandering the streets of Lyon.

    October 12, 2023 in France ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Lyon is a lovely city where the confluence of the Soane and Rhône Rivers is found. Today was another day of walking and walking, including the steep climb up to the Basilique Notre-Dame de Fourviere, with a panoramic view of the city. Built in the late 1800s, it is yet another European church built in dedication to the Virgin Mary, to whom is attributed the salvation of the city of Lyon from the bubonic plague that swept Europe in 1643. Mary is also credited with saving the city a number of other times, such as from a Cholera epidemic in 1832, and from Prussian invasion in 1870. “So, let’s build her a church!”

    Such interesting sights, colorful buildings, and, much to our delight, not too many people.
    We enjoyed delicious food at outdoor cafes found throughout the city.

    We have seen many groups of school children out in the community in all of the cities we have been in. We loved seeing them out of the classroom. Children are children. Just like in the US, younger ones are moving, running, laughing, making noise, and are full of energy and curiosity and life. Teenagers love to gather in small groups, sit on steps or just on the ground, and talk, laugh, joke, and be teenagers.

    We also walked by many schools, and European buildings full of children sound just like US buildings full of children.

    The last photo is a solo Mute Swan, swimming in the Soane River a short distance upstream from where it meets the Rhône.
    Read more