South Africa

Discover travel destinations of travelers writing a travel journal on FindPenguins.

22 travelers at this place

  • Day32

    Royal Natal NP

    August 9, 2019 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Eigentlich wollten wir ein paar Ruhe - und Wandertage in den Drakensbergen einlegen. Leider spielt das Wetter nicht mit. Die Berge sind wolkenverhangen und es soll sich in den nächsten Tagen wohl auch nicht ändern. Also werden wir morgen zur Küste reisen.Read more

  • Day11

    Drakensberg - Day 4 / Umhlanga

    October 12, 2019 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    נסענו לתצפית אחרונה ומרהיבה ברכס הדראקנסברג - The Amphitheatre. לקחנו איתנו טרמפיסט אבוד מספרד שחתר קשות להמשיך איתנו את הטיול אבל הצלחנו לצאת מזה באלגנטיות ;)
    לאחר מכן, התקדמנו דרומה לכיוון Umhlanga - שכונה יוקרתית ופלצנית על החוף בDurban. טיילנו קצת על החוף ונתקלנו בריקוד מסורתי של חתן וכלה. קינחנו בא. ערב מפנקת במסעדה איטלקית.
    Read more

  • Day91

    Maloti Drakensberg Park - Day 2

    February 23 in South Africa ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    As I got up at around 7am after a reasonably good night's sleep despite the heavy rain, I was very disappointed to find that it was still raining lightly with low heavy clouds that reduced visibility markedly. This was exactly the weather we didn't want for trekking in the mountains and enjoying the views. I got a, thankfully, hot shower as it was very cool with the rain, and joined my fellow travellers under the tarpaulin for a leisurely breakfast of cereal and toast. We managed to keep a good sense of humour and had some fun banter about how Brian was using the Irish rain gods to create the rain, and I was trying to counteract his 'magic' by summoning up some sunshine. So far, Brian was winning hands down. A troop of baboons were mischievously patrolling the campsite looking for free food and were being chased off by various campers, some armed with sticks. Kristen, Brian and I retreated to the relative warmth of the truck to read and write and pass the time while it rained.
    Throughout the morning the drizzly rain occasionally abated, the cloudy sky brightened a little and I became hopeful that we may be able to go for a trek to view the mountain scenery. However, no sooner did I have that thought, than the skies darkened and the rain began to fall again. This happened several times throughout the morning. We decided to go to the park's Visitors Centre about a 15 minute walk down the road. I made a quick sandwich to eat along the way. We left the high fenced campsite and walked down by a very swollen river with all the rain we'd had. The river was actually flowing over the low road bridge. The visitor centre had some helpful information and a 3D model of the impressive Drakensberg mountain amphitheatre which showed potential walks. I was still interested to do one of the walks if the weather cleared but so far it hadn't done so. It also had some information about some ancient rock paintings nearby which sounded like a good alternative activity. My fellow traveller, Kristin, is also interested in rock paintings and so we decided to walk up the road for about 30 minutes to where the path to the paintings began. It continued to rain so that we got pretty wet along the way. There was nowhere obvious as to where we could pay for the guided walk, so we decided to walk up the rocky and slippery path ourselves. After about 30 minutes of climbing we came over a rise into a very attractive valley filled with trees. On our right was a large rock face which had clearly been cut into, damaged, and excavated like a quarry. Further along we found some rather faint, but interesting, rock paintings in red and white pigments. Again, the more you looked, the more you could see. There were some nice renditions of antelope, and a whole series of figures in various poses in white pigment. To the right was a rendition of a buffalo or bull and what looked like a frontal depiction of a giraffe. Then I saw some more vivid and well drawn renditions of antelope high up on the rock that were the best preserved of the paintings. However, we didn't see the impressive animal rock paintings that were in the photo at the visitor centre and then realised by re-reading the information from the centre that most of the better depictions of animals in the rock art had been literally blasted from the rock using dynamite by the British many years ago and were now placed in a museum. This explained the damaged state of the rock face, and we wondered how people could be so ignorant as to blast out rock paintings from such a special and evocative place. We had therefore been unable to see the best images, but I was still pleased to have seen the wonderfully rendered animals that were there. Kristen and I then had the long trek back down the path and along the road back to the campsite. When we reached the bottom of the path we encountered a large troop of baboons including a mother with a small baby clinging to her back and looking at us curiously. There was also another very tame bushbuck antelope feeding amidst the troop of baboons. I reflected that this would possibly be the last time I would see such African animals roaming in the wild and already felt that I would miss this ongoing experience of such animals when I left Africa. Further up the road we saw another tame bushbuck very close to us on the road. We walked back past the visitor centre with the rain still falling. I realised that my hopes to do a trek to see the Drakensberg mountain amphitheatre would be dashed for the rest of the day as the weather wasn't going to lift. This was perhaps the biggest disappointment of the trip on the final day of the trip, but I consoled myself that I had been so lucky to have seen so much on the rest of the trip that at least one such disappointment was to be expected. Kristen and I returned up the path by the swollen river and this time crossed a rickety old wooden suspension bridge over the river to avoid getting our feet wet by crossing the flooded road bridge. When we arrived back at our tents, I retreated to the relative warmth of the truck to rest and dry off. Jemma and Grant returned from doing their clothes washing and we hatched a plan to drive up to a viewing point over to the Amphitheatre the following morning if the weather allowed. It was weather dependent but would give us another opportunity to see this spectacular view of the Drakensberg mountains.
    Kristen, Jemma, Grant and Graham played cards through the afternoon and came into the truck for warmth. I also sat in the truck with Brian and wrote my blog. A couple wearing matching white tops and red shorts arrived at the campsite and spent a long time trying and failing to put up their tent in the rain. Kristen dubbed them Mr. and Mrs, Claus on account of the Christmas colours they both wore, and they provided us with some macabre entertainment as their tent kept collapsing. Then Jemma and Often cooked us a wonderful dinner of soup and cottage pie. Often managed to make a bush oven using hot coals to bake the cheese on top of the cottage pie. It continued to rain and the temperature fell very low so that we could see our breath in the air. I had to put on my fleece for the first time on the trip to keep warm. I opened a bottle of red wine to help keep warm and we all drank some alcohol over dinner, except Often and Brian who don't drink alcohol. The hot soup and cottage pie was delicious and helped keep us warm in the cold night. We reminisced about our long journey now coming to an end and talked about our highlights of the trip. It was a lovely evening of conversation and humorous banter which I knew I would miss when I returned home. I felt fortunate to have travelled with such a friendly and warm group of people throughout this epic journey across Africa and I thought of all the people that I'd met on the trip and the fellow travellers no longer with us. We washed and packed away all our cooking utensils and flapped them dry for the last time on the trip. I stood around the last embers of the burning coals with Brian, Graham and Often and we discussed our journey and how it had seemed so long ago that we started our trip on 26th November 2019. We all then retired to our tents for our last night camping in this unforgettable experience of wild Africa. I slowly fell to sleep with the rain still falling on my tent, the swollen river roaring below and the great continent of Africa stretching thousands of miles to the North, so much of which I had now experienced and seen, and yet so much more of this vast continent I had yet to see and explore. There were many animals prowling and sleeping in the black night that I had now made eye contact with and connected to, and one lion in Antelope park that had somehow managed to open my heart and show me the pure fire of creation.
    Read more

  • Day92

    Journey to Johannesburg

    February 24 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    I got up early at 5.45am after my last night camping in the tent on this trip. It had been another cold night but i slept quite well with all my sleeping layers on. However, when I opened up the tent zip in the hope of seeing a clearer sunny sky, I was very disappointed to see another morning of low misty cloud hiding the mountain views. We had hoped to trek to see the renowned Amphitheatre of mountains but it would be unlikely that we would see it in this weather. I got a hot shower at the shower block and joined my fellow travellers for a light breakfast of cereals and toast from the truck. The mood was a bit gloomy to match our disappointment with the weather. After breakfast, I was still hopeful that the weather might break and wanted to do the morning trek to the viewpoint for Amphitheatre despite the poor weather. However, my fellow travellers were not so keen and wanted to drive straight to Johannesburg so I was outvoted. As we left the campsiite, crossed the now heavily flooded bridge over the swollen river, and headed out past the ever present troop of baboons, onto the main road, I struggled with my disappointment at not being able to view the Drakensburg mountains on our last day of the trip. We headed down along the lovely river valley and we could see the nearer mountains but not the high mountains of the Amphitheatre beyond. There were bright patches in the sky with the sun peaking through so it looked as though the weather may clear later in the day which was even more frustrating. As we continued back up and through the lower, but still impressive mountains and valleys we had passed going towards the park two days earlier, I began to process my disappointment and remember all the wonderful things I had seen previously on the trip. We saw two kudu by the fence of a wildlife park. We then passed out into more open pastoral countryside and the sun began to peak through the clouds more and more until there was clear blue sky. Howecer, the wind continued to blow very cool into the truck.
    We continued travelling through very western looking countryside of trees and fields and the views were less interesting than the mountainous views we had seen through most of South Africa. The terrain flattened out into large wheat fields which had amazing looking small black birds, 'Wedos'?, with huge ribbon like black tails that dangled below them as they hovered over the wheat sheaves. We stopped in a small service station to buy lunch and some provisions.
    After a few hours, we arrived at the outskirts of Johannesburg and at our campsite, Backpackers Connection. We acknowledged that this was our last stop on this amazing journey across Africa and that we would no longer be boarding our faithful truck, Chui (meaning 'leopard' in Swahili). I felt quite nostalgic and emotional leaving the truck for the last time. We headed for the reception and were shown around the bar, pool and communal kitchen and then to our rooms, dorms, and tents. I had booked a safari tent which was nice, but very hot in the afternoon sun.
    I began to move all my travelling possessions from the truck to my tent. When I went to collect the last of my things, there was no one else on the truck. I therefore sat down in the seat I had most often sat in on the trip, I looked around the truck and up towards the front where the 'beach' opening at the top of the truck was. So many wonderful memories came in a jumbled procession, of time spent on the truck with my fellow travellers, the amazing views I had seen from the beach, all the hundreds of animals I had seen, like the mother cheetah with her cubs, or the black rhino mock charging the truck, or the lionness running alongside, all the thousands of African people I had waved to from the truck through twelve countries, and all the amazing landscapes and vistas I had seen. All these images and more passed through my mind as I looked around the truck and I mused at all the memories that it carried with it along the road with more experiences to come with its next set of travellers. I felt very emotional leaving it behind.
    I spent the afternoon with my fellow travellers, swimming in the pool, drinking cool drinks from the bar, and playing pool doubles on the pool table. I went back over to the truck to see our driver, Often, to photograph his log book that had all our stops, campsites and mileage written down and would give me a record of all our campsites on the trip for my blog. Often and I talked about how we had enjoyed sharing our mutual interest in the wildlife during the trip. Often had enjoyed my interest and questions about species of animals and birds, and I had greatly enjoyed and valued his knowledge of the wildlife. We agreed to keep in touch on Facebook and that I would be in touch with him about any future trips to Africa that I planned.
    I then got ready for our final joint meal in the evening. I enjoyed our conversation, humorous banter and reminiscences about our long 9000 mile journey. I sat next to Often and we had some final banter and I was able to give him a tip for all his help and kindness during the trip. The founder and CEO of Oasis Overland was in Africa to meet the crews and drivers of the trucks and was due to meet with our tour leader, Jemma, who was likely going to work for Oasis in South America, and our driver, Often, who would need a new tour leader to train up or take on the role himself in the future when Jemma left. Chris joined us for dinner and asked us a lot about our experience of the trip. We, of course, gave great praise to our excellent tour leader and driver. I also mentioned how helpful Katie had been in the Oasis office in England when I was planning the trip. Chris talked about his experiences travelling and the trips that Oasis planned in the future. It was interesting and timely to meet Chris and hear his thoughts at the end of our journey with Oasis Overland.
    We got a lift back to the campsite from the manager of the site. I said my goodbyes to Often, and thanked Jemma for all her help and support during the trip. We all then retired to bed as it was getting late in the evening. I settled down to sleep as the night cooled considerably under a clear, starry sky.
    Read more

  • Day33

    Tugela Falls Trip

    February 4, 2019 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Wow. Was für ein Tag. Es war mein bisher bestes Erlebnis hier.
    Früh morgens um 7:00 wurden wir abgeholt. Nach 2 Stunden fahrt waren wir am Startpunkt angekommenen. Wir starteten bei 2500m über dem Meer. Unser Zielpunkt liegt bei 3100m.
    Es war ziemlich frisch so weit oben, aber das Wetter sah gut aus.
    Wir starteten voller Motivation los. Der Ausblick war jetzt schon Atemberaubend schön.
    Nach der ersten Stunde, wir waren schon ziemlich außer Atem, sagte uns der Guide, dass das bisher „easy, peasy, lemonsqueezy“ war.
    Um auf die 3100m zu kommen müssen wir nun klettern. 250m hoch. Ohne Sicherung oder sonst was. Jeder durfte sein eigenes Tempo wählen. Unser Guide ging als letztes hoch. Es war anstrengend und ab und zu purzelten auch ein paar kleine Steine. Oben ist dann unsere Lunchpause. Nach mehreren kleinen Pausen, in der ich die Aussicht genossen hab oder von dem frischen Wasser gekostet habe, bin ich endlich oben angekommen. Es war das anstrengendste was ich je gemacht habe.
    Während wir gegessen haben, haben uns leider die Wolken die Aussicht genommen. Aber dann öffneten sich die Wolken und die ganzen Strapazen hatten sich gelohnt! Es war unglaublich was uns da offenbart wurde. So wunderschön. Wir haben Fotos gemacht und die Aussicht genossen. Die Fotos zeigen nicht annähernd wie schön es in Wirklichkeit aussieht.
    Wir sind dann oben weiter gelaufen, Richtung Wasserfall. Der Tugela Wasserfall. Der zweithöchste der Welt. Immer wieder staunten wir über den Ausblick und spielten mit dem Echo. Beim Wasserfall angekommen durften wir darin baden oder uns einfach sonnen. Das Wasser war gar nicht so kalt wie gedacht. Auch diese Pause haben wir genossen. Die Aussicht wurde einfach nicht langweilig. Der Rückweg ging über Leitern runter. Es gab zwei zur Auswahl. Eine, die wackelt wenn man runter geht und eine, die Fest am Felsen ist. Wir wählten alle die feste. Und auch die war nicht ganz ohne. Auf dem Weg zurück zum Bus kamen wir immer noch nicht ganz klar drauf was wir gerade gemacht haben.
    Diese Wanderung werde ich sicher niemals vergessen. Ich bin immer noch überwältigt.
    Read more

  • Day295

    The Crack & Gudu Falls

    June 23, 2017 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    Durch einen "Schlitz" (The Crack) in der Felswand klettern wir über Steine jeder Größe unter Zuhilfenahme von Kettenleitern steil nach oben. Schon eine kleine Sporteinheit, aber wenn man nicht nach unten guckt, macht es sogar Spaß!
    635 Meter höher erwartet uns eine unerwartet große und recht ebene Fläche, die wir überqueren, um zum Gudu Fall zu kommen. Hier oben toben sich die Paviane aus.
    Nun kommt endlich auch die Sonne raus und die Mittagspause ist gesichert ☀️.
    Read more

  • Day295

    Plowman's Kop & Mudslide

    June 23, 2017 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Der Abstieg erfolgt zwischen zwei Felswänden (Mudslide) noch steiler als bergauf - die Wanderbeschreibung verspricht hierzu Fun mit einem Spritzer Adventure! Wir hangeln uns also über Kettenleitern und an Ketten senkrecht nach unten und ich vermisse die versprochenen Wurzeln zum Festhalten. Es dauert nicht lange und ich verliere den Fun und Adventure ist mir ein bisschen zu viel dabei 😐. Wenn überhaupt ein Untergrund für die Füße da ist, dann ist es doofes Geröll und das macht mich auch nicht glücklicher. Und es ist wirklich sehr sehr steil!!!Read more

  • Day295

    Drakensberg ade

    June 23, 2017 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    Langsam arbeiten wir uns tiefer und irgendwann ist sowas wie ein normaler Weg erreicht. Wir schauen zurück und ich kann nicht glauben, dass wir da runter gekommen sind - schaut auf die Fotos!
    Wir sehen nun aber auch eine kleine Gruppe Elenantilopen (die größte Antilopenart) auf der Wiese und das macht uns glücklich, denn sie sind sehr selten geworden. Ein Stück weiter lässt sich ein Clan Paviane die frischen Knospen der Proteen schmecken, die hier überall wachsen. Außerdem sehen wir die dicken Wolken, die immer tiefer sinken und bald unseren erklommenen Berg verschwinden lassen, gleichzeitig wird es empfindlich kühl!
    Zügig geht es nun immer bergab. Ich bin versöhnt, denn es war mal wieder eine wunderschöne Wanderung (die mittlere Herausforderung lassen wir mal links liegen 😉) und ein schöner letzter Wandertag in den Drakensbergen!
    In dieser Region könnte man Wochen verbringen, doch die Tiere rufen. Im letzten Tageslicht kommen wir in unserer Cheetah (=Gepard) Ridge Lodge an. Alles ist wunderschön und wir fühlen uns gleich wohl. Drei Mahlzeiten sind inklusive und morgen früh startet die erste Safari - wir brauchen uns um nichts zu kümmern! Das nenn ich Urlaub 😀!
    Read more

You might also know this place by the following names:


Join us:

FindPenguins for iOSFindPenguins for Android

Sign up now