Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Around the bustling centre of Bluff

    December 19, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Today, we took the opportunity to explore the heart of Bluff. Actually there's very little to see and we saw it all in the first 10 minutes of arriving here. However, we we took the opportunity to drive around more and take photos.

    The buildings are old and clearly show evidence of previous wealth in the area. Although we are not really sure where that wealth came from. Today there is an aluminum smelter and for 6 months of the year oysters are harvested. Some of the buildings clearly are used for processing is they have been well maintained. There's also quite an interesting collection of street art painted on the buildings.

    For some reason and not entirely clear to one person we spoke to, on the first day there was a large Seaborne cruise ship docked just off shore. It's a deep harbour maybe they came for fresh provisions certainly not for any tourist attractions around here.

    The weather is very pleasant. Tonight we will have our last meal at the cafe/restaurant near the hotel. Excellent dining and very good Pinot. I think for me this has been the highlight of Bluff.
    Read more