Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Tortuguero Day 2

    September 18, 2019 in Costa Rica ⋅ 🌙 27 °C

    Our first night in Tortuguero was very eventful. Just after falling asleep we were awoken by a shaking hut. Which turned out to be a 5.5 earthquake - intense!
    We then had an early start to the day since we had planned our canoe tour through the jungle. During our expedition, we saw tons of residents of the Tortuguero national park. Including many different species of birds, caimans, iguanas, and monkeys. We got lucky with our tour guide since he is practically a permanent resident of the jungle himself. ‘Mono’ was born in the Jungle and spent all of his life hunting and exploring this great landscape. After collecting tons of new knowledge, pictures and sunburns we headed back to our beloved pool.
    Having spent all of our cash we made our way back into the village for an ATM only to find out the machine has been out of service for a while. What to do now?
    We went into loads of stores asking to take out cash with no luck. Finally, we were able to find a grocery store clerk who unwillingly gave us some cash. Thankfully, because we had no money to get back home.
    Tonight, we are off to see the turtles in the national park for a guided night tour. Unfortunately, no pictures are allowed. We will fill you in tomorrow!
    We’re off!
    Read more