Satellite
  • Day 12

    Machu Picchu, Peru

    August 19, 2013 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 68 °F

    Very early wakeup at 4AM. Quick breakfast and out to the bus by 5:30, on 17th bus to the site, we arrived. Eventually after a few lines, and a 15min hike, we arrived to a cloud-covered Machu Picchu pre-sunrise. Max gave us the history while we waited for sunrise. The cloud cover gave the scene a mysterious, almost mystical feel. Between 7 and 8 AM the clouds dissipated to reveal the beauty of the site. When the site cleared, Max gave us a guided tour of the ruins. Through the main gate to the Lodging area (on the right). Circling around through the sacred area with the temples. Through the housing area, saw a "high person's house" may have been Paccachuti's. At this point, max gave us free time. We saw the sun dial and hiked back to the terraces to have a snack where a llama stole Sherilyn's apple right out of her hand. After the snack, we hiked up to the Inca bridge a little south of the city. The bridge was a small path along the mountainside. We returned to the terraces, to sit and admire the site. After a few more photos, we returned to Aguas Clients to Hot Springs II for lunch. S got chicken quesadilla and M got Aji de gallina. After lunch we went back to Cusco via train (1.5hr) and bus (2hr). We arrived around 7PM.

    Checked in to the same hotel and had dinner at Nuna Raymi and met Ryan, a journalism major from Colorado, traveling through South America. S got Quinoa salad and M got Lomo Saltado. Back to the hotel for bed.
    Read more