Satellite
  • Day 42

    Pucón, Chile- It's my birthday

    April 1, 2017 in Chile ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    Having had a lovely lazy morning in the treehouse the adventure we had chosen for my birthday was hydrospeeding. Never heard of this? Neither had we!
    The water around Pucon was not quite good enough for white water rafting, so this is the alternative. Instead of being in a raft you go down the river using a bodyboard and reinforced thick suit!

    Dropped off at the top of the river after being kitted out- for me this included a fetching pair of white goggles (I think the only pair in Pucon) to protect my contacts from being washed away. After quick instructions we followed the guide closely down the river. He carved out a path away from rocks... mostly. After a few bumps we learnt how to avoid the bruises by spreading our legs out and steering with our fins.

    It was 14km down the river and we went through a fair few rapids, two lots being strong carrying us through by the fast moving water. It flipped a few of us! James had the go pro mounted to his head so we should have good footage to show in July. Damp and happy we headed back to the hostel.

    James had a browse of the local restaraunts and chose an amazing steak house called La Maga as a birthday treat. With drops of rain starting as we entered the restaraunt, this soon turned into a massive thunderstorm with roars of thunder above. It was very theatrical. We chose an amazing Merlot and I had a mouthwatering ribeye with some roasted pepper and melted cheese. An amazing birthday+!
    Read more