Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Fremantle / Perth WA

    March 22, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌬 11 °C

    We arrived in the Port of Fremantle this morning to a beautiful day, around 30deg.

    Previously we had enjoyed one of the ship's talks on the history of this region. Fremantle was first visited by the Dutch & French in the 1600s. It was then settled in 1829 by the Swan River & named after Captain Charles Fremantle, who claimed the West Coast as British. The first colony was formed when two boatloads of people arrived to form the Colony.

    Fremantle is a major port for WA welcoming both container & Cruise ships & ferries. Smaller craft travel the 20km up the Swan River to Perth.

    Barry & I decided to travel by train to Perth along with Vicki & Martin. The railway station was a short walk & a day ticket was $4 each. Time was limited but we enjoyed the scenery, passing through many well known areas of Cottesloe, Claremont & Subiaco before arriving in Perth.
    A short look about, a few photos & back to Fremantle, taking in the wonderful well preserved buildings at the Port.

    Unfortunately our time here was quite limited & was not a full day visit.

    Sail away out through the small channel saw plenty of cars parked along the causeway watching the ship depart.
    Read more