Discover travel destinations of travelers writing a travel journal on FindPenguins.
Add to bucket listRemove from bucket list
296 travelers at this place
  • Day13


    October 2, 2019 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    A rainy day greeted us in Nuremberg. Had a few hours free time in the morning, followed by a guided tour in the afternoon. A lot of Nazi history here and of course home of the Nuremberg Trials.

    Places of note being the Nuremberg Castle, St. Lawrence's church, Nazi party rally grounds, and Zeppelin Fields.
    Read more

  • Day25

    Notorious Nuremberg

    October 5, 2019 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    Nuremberg's recent history is rather notorious, but the good thing is that the city doesn't shy away from its role in the period up to and including World War II.
    No leisurely lie-in this particular morning as we were due to head off at 8.15am for a tour of Nuremberg. We had another Scottish - born guide who was very pleasant, knowledgeable and informative. She is at least the third such guide we have encountered - Scottish born, long-term German resident and married with family to a local spouse. Is it a form of Scottish emigration that we were hitherto unaware of? Could it be that the Scots are always able to find better quality partners overseas? At least that's Brian's line and he is sticking to it.
    It was about a 15 minute drive to our first stop, the ruins of the giant and infamous Zeppelinfeld parade ground which was the scene of Hitler's Nazi rallies. One has to be there to really appreciate the extent of Hitler's megalomania and the scale of the buildings that he commissioned and his architect Albert Speer designed. To give an idea of size, some 700000 Nazi Party supporters attended the 6th party congress in 1934. Sufficient of the structures, including the grand platform from which Hitler harangued the party faithful, remain. One can get some idea of his megalomania by visiting this and other nearby structures, including an overscale copy of the Roman Colliseum which was never fully completed. Sheer madness.
    From there, we drove past the courthouse building where the famous Nazi war trials took place.
    We then headed to the other side of Nuremberg where our guide took us for a walk around part of the old city. It is certainly very attractive and boasts the biggest enclosed area of any walled city anywhere.
    We were then free to wander round and explore for a couple of hours. Nuremberg has a lot of interesting old buildings as well as some excellent shops. We lost a bit of time while Brian searched out a camera shop where he could get a replacement lens cap for the new camera. Camera shops are few and far between these days so we were very pleased to have found one. We could have happily spent a lot longer in Nuremberg, but unfortunately time was limited as we had to move on. One good thing was that even though it was cold the rain held off for the entire day.
    We were leaving the Main river and setting off on the Main-Danube canal which links the North Sea to the Black Sea. It is a major engineering feat, being 171 kilometres long, and has 16 giant locks. Many of the passengers, us included, spent a couple of freezing but fascinating hours on the top deck as the ship manoeuvred its way through some of these locks, which are impressive engineering structures. Three of them each have lifts of 24.7 metres, and most of them are at least 15 metres. They are 12 metres wide,. making it a tricky feat to steer our 11.5 metre long ship in there without hitting the concrete sides. We calculated that the largest of the locks required over 50000 cubic metres of water each time to fill it, equivalent to more than 1000 times the volume of our pool back home. Each lock took over half an hour to navigate. We were very lucky though because we got green lights all the way. If there are other ships either ahead of us or coming towards us then we could get delayed for a long time.
    In the afternoon a guest lecturer came on board and gave us an excellent half hour illustrated presentation about the canal and its history, which really put things in perspective.
    It seems the original canal dates back to Roman times when, obviously, it would have been dug entirely by hand. Nowadays the locks are all controlled remotely from three control rooms.
    Early in the day we were told that we'd be meeting the sister ship to the Amaverde heading in the opposite direction. Then, later, we learned that it wouldn't be happening because the other ship had had to abandon its voyage due to the low water levels in the river system. In other words we were very lucky to have made it through without us having to be offloaded and put on buses.
    After dinner we relaxed in the lounge with a couple of drinks while the on-board entertainers played and sang songs from our era. Mary made a name for herself and received many compliments for her enthusiastic singing and dancing.
    Read more

    JK - perhaps next cruise, dad could be onboard IT and phone nav advisor, while mum works for her lodgings as cruise entertainment 😊


    I like that idea.


    There is a WWII memorial in Nuremberg we spent time reading when Joyce & I were there - a "never again" memorial. Bruce C

  • Day7


    August 19, 2021 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Nuremberg, in English, is generally well known as the site of the war crimes trials after world war 2 and of the grounds where the Nazis held huge rallies (see another post). While Nürnberg is considered a center of the Renaissance in Germany, it is an older association that was the basis for the Nazi connection. Nürnberg was a major political center of the Holy Roman Empire. So it was of central importance for Hitler.
    The 1st picture is the restored Schönner Brunner fountain dating from the 14th century. The 2nd picture looks across the town square to the Church of Our Lady, the main church of Nürnberg. The 3rd picture is part of the Nürnberg Castle, and the 4th picture was taken through the portcullis into the castle courtyard as we arrived after it closed for the day.
    The 5th picture looks over the city from the castle battlements. The last picture is taken from one of the bridges over the river.
    Read more

  • Day6

    Neurenberg ronddolen

    July 2, 2020 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Ik was vroeg op gestaan, rond 7u, waarmee ik bedoel dat ik zo lang mogelijk in bed gebleven ben. Het ontbijt was weer met handschoenen te doen, maar dat valt wel mee als ge alles kunt nemen dat ge wilt. Het viel op dat het hier grote croissants waren in plaats van die miniaturen die ik meestal zie. Om 9 uur ging het kasteel open en ik stond er dan al aan de deur te wachten in mijn oude gewoonte om de grote massa voor te zijn. Het was verspilde moeite met deze corona tijden, ik was de eerste binnen en moest het personeel vragen om de deuren open te doen want ze stonden nog allemaal te praten op het binnenhof. Ik denk dat er nog twee of drie toeristen waren dat uur, de rest wist waarschijnlijk al dat het niet echt de moeite was. Het kasteel is duidelijk gerestaureerd sinds de wereldoorlog maar er was niet veel interieur, na een half uur was ik weer buiten.

    Ik had op mijn planning een kerkje met een oud kerkhof aangeduid, maar dat is nu niet echt de meest aangename plek om de toerist uit te gangen, en het begon op de terugweg ook nog eens te regenen waardoor ik naar het hotel vluchtte. Een van de opties die ik wou doen in de namiddag was het spoorweg museum, maar ik had uiteindelijk geen goesting en besloot mijn tijd te spenderen door een boek te lezen op een terrasje. Het werd meer dan een terrasje en ik moet ook nog veel rondgewandeld hebben ertussen want ik zit aan 32376 stappen vandaag. Morgen is mijn plan om een grote wandeling te doen maar ik wordt moe als ik eraan denk.

    Ik merk dat er hier al wat corona moeheid begint te komen. De mondmaskers worden meestal op de kin gedragen en veel afstand houd men niet. Wel moet ik overal nog mijn naam en telefoonnummer afgeven al ik ergens ga zitten. Het blijft meer dan in België waar ze niets doen.
    Read more

  • Day7

    Wandeling Neurenberg

    July 3, 2020 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Net als in München besloot ik de laatste dag te vullen met een wandeling. Het hotel ligt hiervoor ideaal gelegen, aan de rand van een park dat in de ene richting naar de stad gaat en in de andere de rivier volgt. Het was prachtig weer waardoor ik zeer enthousiast aan de wandeling begon, rond 8 uur was het al warm genoeg . Op de hele wandeling was het rustig, en op grote stukken was ik alleen. Op de kaart zag ik dat er een bos lag wat verderop en dat werd mijn doel van de wandeling. Uiteindelijk duurde die 4 uur, zonder pauze. Ik bleef maar verder lopen en dacht niet veel aan de terugweg tot het bijna te laat was. De laatste kilometers waren zwaar.
    Terug in het hotel stond ik voor een dilemma: ofwel uitrusten ofwel naar het centrum wandelen om te eten. Het eten won maar veel heb ik niet meer gedaan die dag. Wel ben ik een aantal keer over en weer naar het hotel gegaan wat mijn aantal stappen van de dag nog verhoogde tot ik uiteindelijk 47291 stappen had. Een record dat ik niet snel zal verbreken.
    Twee keer goed gegeten vandaag, en dat is uitzonderlijk want het eten tot nu toe was maar gewoontjes hier. In de middag Duitse kost en de avond Vietnamees. Dat laatste was een last minute beslissing, ik was al een uur aan het ronddolen door de stad om een plaatsje te vinden en had het net opgegeven toen ik dat klein restaurant zag. Het is vrijdag avond en alles is volzet. Ik kreeg natuurlijk terug heimwee naar Azië, waar ze in tegenstelling tot Duitsland groentjes op je bord leggen voor meer dan enkel decoratie.
    Read more

  • Day1


    October 10, 2020 in Germany ⋅ 🌧 10 °C

    Um den Mittag sind wir in Nürnberg angekommen. Hier haben wir uns ein wenig die Altstadt angeschaut und bereits einige Sehenswürdigkeiten entdeckt. Spannend war vorallem die Strasse der Menschenrechte die die 30 Artikel der Allgemeinen Erklärung der Menschenrechte auf Betonsäulen präsentierte. Auf jeder dieser Säule war ein Menschenrecht in deutscher sowie einer anderen Sprache. Kulinarisch haben wir am ersten Tag bereits einige Spätzialitäten ausprobiert: Glühwein aus der Weihnachtsstadt Nürnberg, das Rotbier und natürlich Nürnberger Bratwürste. 🙂Read more

  • Day1


    March 13, 2020 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    Oh wie schön ist es, wenn mal wenig Touris unterwegs sind... München fast leer., Nürnberg angenehm 🤗
    Kein Stress, keine Menschenansammlungen 🙃

    Bissl Shoppen, bissl Corona vergessen....
    Asyl in Deutschland 🙃Read more

  • Day2

    Nürnberg Tag 2

    October 11, 2020 in Germany ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    Am zweiten Tag nid Nürnberg hatten wir ein volles Programm. Nach dem Motto - Der frühe Vogel fängt den Wurm - sind wir am Sonntag richtig früh in die Stadt. Mit strahlendem Himmel hat der Tag begonnen. Zuerst haben wir die Mitte der Altstadt nochmals genauer unter die Lupe genommen und sind dann Richtung Kettensteg weiter durch die schönen Gassen mit Fachwerk hinauf zur Kaiserburg. Am späteren Nachmittag hatten wir noch ein weiteres Highlight auf unserem Programm: nähmlich die Führung Historische Felnsengänge. Die Altstadt in Nürnberg ist grossteils untertunnelt. Bereits 1380 wurde dieses Tunnelsystem das erste Mal erwähnt. Es wurde für die Reifung der Biere gebraucht. Im 2 Weltkrieg hatten dann die Tunnel noch andere Funktionen. Nach dieser spannenden Führung gabe es für uns noch ein Bier-Trio: Schwarz, Rot, Gold 🇩🇪Read more

  • Day5


    July 1, 2020 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    De trip naar de volgende stad duurde niet lang, enkel de wegenwerken deden het vertragen maar nog voor de middag stond ik al aan het hotel. Ik kon al inchecken op de kamer maar had veel moeite om de receptioniste te horen want een mondmasker en een glazen plaat houden veel tegen. Ik ben gewoon om naar landen te reizen waar men mij onmiddellijk als een toerist aanziet, het is dus wat wennen dat iedereen hier mij in het duits aanspreekt. Niettemin probeer ik zo veel mogelijk in het duits te antwoorden wat vrij goed lukt.

    Het hotel is zeer goed gelegen, op een kwartiertje wandelen van het centum, en wat het leuk maakt is dat het een kwartiertje wandelen door een park is. Het centrum is aan het ene uiteinde van het park en het hotel aan het andere. Eenmaal in het centrum kon ik het niet laten om overal rond te crossen door de straten met een tussenstop aan een worstenkraam en een terrasje. De stad heeft een middeleeuwse look, inclusief een kasteel dat ik morgen ga bezoeken.

    Na een paar uur moest ik toch weer even naar het hotel om mezelf en mijn electronica op te laden. Mijn smartphone gaat geen hele dag mee als ik op reis ben, hij is continu in gebruik voor kaartlezen, foto's, boekje lezen, muziek en chatten. Hoe heb ik het ooit kunnen doen zonder dit?
    In mijn pauze was ik bijna in slaap gevallen, maar heb dit rap onderdrukt want ik ben nog een jaar of 60 te jong voor een middagdutje. In plaats daarvan ging ik eerst een bergje worstjes gaan eten in een middeleeuwse braadwurststube, en dan een wandeling rond de vesten richting stadsbrouwerij om daar eens een slaatje te eten. Zo heb ik deze week ook eens groenten op mijn bord, ik was al vergeten hoe sla eruit zag. Over de hele stad waren alle terrasjes volzet alsof het een vrijdagavond was, op de plaats waar ik deze middag in alle stilte een pint gedronken had zaten nu de mensen zelfs op de grond. Ik wilde nog een plaats aandoen, maar kon niet wegens volzet. Morgen meer geluk.

    Ik kan geen motivatie vinden om op te blijven tot het donker is. Veel te moe. Stappen vandaag: 25984
    Read more

  • Day13

    Nuremberg and Boarding the Boat

    September 27, 2017 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    This morning we had to pack up and sadly leave the beautiful city of Prague. Dad had two remaining free breakfasts to use up so Mom and Rae enjoyed the lovely continental breakfast (and made sure to sneak some dates for Brooke). The guys instead opted for a hearty breakfast of........McDonald's!! Nothing like an sausage and egg McMuffin to get you going in the morning! I grabbed a greasy breakfast for Brooke on the way out as well, she was most grateful. Then it was loading up the van with our same driver, Martin, from before.

    The car ride was about 3 hours to Nuremberg. Rae and I finished watching Beauty and Beast, Brett read and listened to a podcast, Mom napped and then read about the cruise, Brooke blogged and read her book (didn't nap that much actually), and Dad looked at the pictures in the Czech newspaper and pretended to know what was going on.

    We arrived at the pier in Nuremberg and found our boat, the River Beatrice. We were able to unload all of our bags and check into the boat. The rest of the tour group actually began in Prague as the official start to the tour and were still en route when we arrived, so it wasn't a mob of people yet.

    The cruise company called us a taxi and we all loaded into one car to head into the main part of Nuremberg. We were planning to join up with the rest of the tour group at 2:00 PM so we had about an hour and a half to ourselves. First order of business for the two of us was to hit up the ATM to take out more Euros (no thanks to Oktoberfest). After that we toodled around the main town square a bit. Grabbed a lunch of bratwurst on a bun with onions, definitely hit the spot. Brooke and I wandered up to a Toy Museum to glance at the entrance. It looked like a history of all sorts of toys that children played with. If we had more time we would definitely take the time to go through it.

    While we were walking back to the square, I noticed that a bus had shown up with the sign UniWorld on it (which was the name of the cruise company) and it was only 12:50 PM. We started to get a bit worried since we might miss the tour and I didn't know where the rest of the family was. Turns out that they arrived an hour early in order to see the square as well, perfect.

    Since we still had time, we went to Wicklein, a Czech gingerbread store. They make authentic Czech gingerbread there which is quite different then how we make it at home. There seem to be more spices and fruit used, and there was a unique wafer adhered to the bottom of the cookie. Turns out that this was actually similar to a communion host. When monks would make the gingerbread years ago, they realized if they used the communion bread it would not stick to the baking sheet and acted like a parchment paper. Very interesting!

    We had about a half hour until the tour started and we noticed that Brett grabbed a beer while he was sitting in the square. This sounded like a great idea since the sun was finally out and we were going to be going on a walking tour (so we assumed). Brooke and I walked over to the cafe and got a bottle each. Brooke was really happy to walk around in the city with a cold beer, and why not, we're on vacation! We walked over to the tour meeting point and met up with the cruise director. We then found out that we were getting on the bus and the tour was around the city, and we can't bring drinks onto the bus! Uh oh! That meant we had to hurry up and finish our drinks, and I had to help Brooke out quite a bit.

    The bus first went by the Palace of Justice where they held the Nuremberg Trials after WWII and held the Nazi leaders accountable for the war crimes. It was amazing to drive past the place where it actually happened. Then there was a fancy cemetery and some other stuff. I'm not really sure because for some reason the motion of the bus, the calming voice of the tour guide, and perhaps some things mentioned earlier, I was having a hard time keeping my eyes open! Brooke did fine though!

    Our first stop was at the Nuremberg Castle where we walked through it and our tour guide explained some of the features and history. The most interesting part was that during WWII, the castle was 90% bombed and they managed to rebuild it after the war!

    After the castle, we boarded back onto the bus and headed off to the former Nazi rally grounds. This is the area where Hitler held his political rallies and propaganda videos during the 30's before the war started. We first drove through the Congress Hall which was supposed to be a massive stadium that would rival the Colosseum in Rome. It was never finished due to the war starting. There is a museum as part of it explaining the history of the Nazi party, but it is not a massively beautiful tourist site, quite ugly in fact.

    Next we went to the Zeppelin Fields which is the actual spot where Hitler held the Nazi rallies. This is a massive field that could probably fit four football fields in the center and the outside is surrounded by stone steps for seating. A lot of the stone steps are overgrown with weeds and grass. Both of these structures have been left standing in order to remind everyone of the terrible atrocities that happened and to make sure it never happens again. Our guide also explained that the city of Nuremberg has elected to use the former Nazi rally grounds in ways that the Nazis would not approve of. We found it very interesting that the buildings are not being preserved in beautiful ways (as opposed to the buildings in Prague). They are not used as money making devices, they are just there as remembrance.

    We finally got back to the boat and waited in the line to grab our room keys, then were escorted to our stateroom. Quite small, but to be expected. We unpacked all of our clothes (which will be a treat not to have to pack up in 2 days) and got a bit organized. Then found a good seat in the lounge for the start of the introductions and listened to the Captains safety speech.

    Immediately following that was dinner in the dining room on the main deck. The room is beautifully decorated and it sounds like we will be having a 3 course dinner each night while we're here. Uh-oh said my waistline! The dining hall did get quite loud with 150 guests in one main room that isn't designed for sound, but I guess we'll have to expect that. All 6 of us had the local veal for dinner, then I ordered a cheesecake for dessert and Brooke had a cheese platter (which she loved), others had a honeycomb ice cup. As soon as my dessert came I immediately had food envy and ended up ordering a second dessert. Waistline satisfied for the short term, will be unhappy when we get home.

    Right after dinner I did a quick load of laundry and now have a reload of clean underwear for the remainder of the trip!

    Turns out that the four of us kids are the youngest people on the boat by 20 years! When Rae went up to the bar to order a drink, the bartender was definitely surprised to see someone younger. After dinner, the 4 kids headed down to the lounge to do some reading and writing (Dad went to bed). We sat in the far corner by the door as there was a "sock-hop" happening on the dance floor (+50's dancing). The four of us were doing highly "intellectual activities". Brett was journaling, Rae was transcribing her journal, Brooke was reading, and I was typing this blog. We had so many questions by the other guests of "are you guys students?" and "are you doing homework?". But it's all good, everyone is very friendly. Brooke went to bed early to get some solid rest (still has a cough) and the 3 of us went and sat at the bar and chatted with the staff as we had our night cap.

    Tyler and Brooke
    Read more

You might also know this place by the following names:

Herrnhütte, Herrnhutte